PDA

View Full Version : What's a good autofeeder?

dous
06/12/2006, 12:13 AM
We're going away on vacation for a week in July and I want to plan for when we're away. Thanks.

ENGINEERgoby
06/12/2006, 08:41 AM
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4464&N=2004+112973

We have the Rondomatic from Grasslin. It's pricey but you can't beat German engineering. It has 28 separate food compartments so you can alternate foods. You can set it to feed up to five times a day (but obviously for one week the max woud be four ). The little compartmetns can be a pain to clean so it is best to only use this with flakes or pellets.

oct2274
06/12/2006, 10:02 AM
i heard the eheim one was good as well http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4460&N=2004+112973 .... again, german engineering i believe ;)

Hal
06/12/2006, 11:49 AM
If it's only a week, you don't need any. If you feed your fish regularly beforehand, they should go a week just fine without any food.

BigWaveDave2
06/12/2006, 08:55 PM
I use a hagen autofeeder, and it works perfect. It is easy to set, and you can adjust it to dispense the amount of food you want it to.

gelatin_man
06/13/2006, 08:53 PM
the ehiem ones are the bomb have used them on over 10 tanks with no problems...as long as you don't drop them in the tank.

IslandCrow
06/13/2006, 10:08 PM
I have the Rondomatic from Grasslin, and for the most part, I think it's well worth the price. The feeding flexibility it gives you is wonderful. You can vary food types from day to day, you measure out exactly how much you want to feed, there's practically no limit to how many times you can feed each day, and you can even dose meds. I only have one issue wiith it. Living in Florida, it's pretty humid, so flake foods will start sticking pretty badly. By day 3, I'm generally not getting much of the food into the aquarium at all. I really like the feeder otherwise, though, so I'm seeing if I can find another dry food that won't stick as badly. I don't know how the Ehiem model is at keeping moisture out, but I've been looking at that one as well. Does anyone out there with the Ehiem have significant issues with humidity and food sticking or clumping?

aquaman3680
06/13/2006, 10:37 PM
I honestly wouldnt use an auto feeder, In my opinion i would rather have someone come over who has somewhat a knowledge of how to run a tank because what if something went wrong like the thank cracked, at least they would have some idea what to do. I have just heard too many horror stories about how things went wrong while on vacation. You can use one but at least have someone come over and look at the tank.

dous
06/13/2006, 11:39 PM
I don't really know anyone knowledgeable enough whom I can trust to come in my house while we're away. I wish that were the case since now I have to think of an auto top off device.

Does any of the autofeeders accept frozen foods? I'm sure that's a dumb noob question.

aquaman3680
06/14/2006, 12:04 AM
unless you can find one with a small fridge on it i dont think so:-)

JRistau81
06/14/2006, 02:00 AM
Perhaps you could talk to your local reef club and someone would surely be willing to watch it for you.