PDA

View Full Version : Lesson learned

jgatmaitan
06/11/2006, 11:09 PM
Well, I had a BBQ on Saturday so friends and family were in my house enjoying the day. Some point during the day, my nieces and nephews were playing around in the room where my fish tank is located. One of them decided to play with my Mag Float magnet algae remover and as most of you knows that bad thing happens when a piece of sand gets stuck in the algae romover. Well, when I saw the tank, scratches were all over the front and sides. My tank is an acrylic and scratches were very visible going horizontal, vertical, diagonal, and circles. Oh how depressing!

I spent hours using a scratch remover today and I am not even close. Trying to buff acrylic under water is not fun.

Lesson learned, next tiime I have a party, the mag float gets stored in a safe place away from kids.

:(

MadTownMax
06/12/2006, 08:51 AM
Ouch! :(

At least it was just damage to the tank and not the inhabitants - kids can cause a lot of damage to the fragile ecosystems without any bad intent ( :rolleyes: the fish looked hungry so I gave it some potato salad :eek1: )

coralnut99
06/12/2006, 11:23 AM
I know it sounds easy to say, but it WAS only the tank getting scratched. A long, long time ago when I was raising Angels in the fish room, my daughter and a friend got in there, and turned a tank with a gorgeous mating pair of pearscale koi angels into a cauldren of food and chemicals that they just didn't recover from. It was absolutley horrifying, and I'll never forget it. So, be thankful you only have some time and elbow grease to lose on this one. When my son started taking an interest, I took extra steps to make sure he understood what was going on. Now he's my 13 year old righthand man.

Birdlady
06/12/2006, 02:13 PM
Oooooh! So sorry to hear that! That hurts! I can just see the kids and how much fun they were having! YIKES!:eek2:

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/12/2006, 02:15 PM
stinks....i hope they were punished:hammer:
....at least the tank isn't glass :eek1:

jgatmaitan
06/12/2006, 02:40 PM
Yeah, at least the fish and corals were ok. Just tank damage, could have been worst.

And I am sure he had so much fun. The kid probably even thought he was doing me a favor for "cleaning" my tank. Oh well, that's how it went. Things could be fixed so no sense in getting mad.

Now, just hours and hours of sanding ahead of me. :eek:

Jay4Robin
06/12/2006, 06:49 PM
I hide my magnet on the side of the tank. If mine comes loose its like dropping a bunker buster. Mine does not float:hammer: