PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Mandarins

reefshadow
06/11/2006, 10:24 PM
Hey, all-

I have a large male s. splendidus mandarin in my 240 reef. About a month ago, someone gave me another mandarin, a very skinny male s. picturatus. I put it in my 55 gallon prop tank, and it has gained some weight and is showing general good health.

Can i move him into the 240 with my other mandarin, or would that be asking for trouble. the resident splendid is about twice the size of the picturatus. again, they are both males. food is not an issue, the main tank is full of pods, and my splendid is about the biggest mandarin i've ever seen.

Has anyone ever mixed dragonets

thnx

AquaReeferMan
06/11/2006, 10:49 PM
I wouldnt do it. I go to a place that sometimes has 2 different types in the same tank and they go at it. I tried housing a Male and a Female(same species) and the male wouldnt stop harassing the female. I mean you might get away with it for a little, being that its such a large system but sooner or later their paths will cross. Also I find that the splendidus are usually more hostile towards other mandarins. Good Luck

Salty Brother
06/11/2006, 10:59 PM
I havent tried it myself, ive got a few questions though, does the mandarin that is in the 240 have a home, or a side of the tank that he is usally on, or does he free swim werever he wants? Becuase if he is usally on one side of the tank, I would try to add the other one on the other side, hopefully then he would stay on that side, and they wouldnt even know eachother were there.
Good luck beautiful fish!

reefshadow
06/11/2006, 11:59 PM
not the answers i was hoping for, but i'm not suprised.

aquareefer, i'm looking for a female spledidus. mine were a mated pair spawning in my 125, but when i switched tanks i had a mini cycle that unfortunately killed the female. seems like females are hard to find for some reason... they were so nice together too.

saltybro, no he doesn't. he cruises all over the place looking for pods. there is no real home territory for him. he even sleeps anywhere in the tank as opposed to my other fish, who all sleep in the same place.

oh well.

McCrary
06/12/2006, 12:30 AM
My buddy has two, a spotted and a green. They live happily together, but this may be more than the exception than the rule. You could always try it and then yank one of they get out of hand.

SCR
06/12/2006, 04:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7543413#post7543413 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TurboSnail8898
My buddy has two, a spotted and a green. They live happily together, but this may be more than the exception than the rule. You could always try it and then yank one of they get out of hand.

Ditto on the above post.

crzy4reefs
06/12/2006, 07:43 AM
i have a female green and blue mandarin (eating frozen) when i up grade to a 210 i'll be getting a male

even though your tank is big, i wouldn't house 2 males together

Sk8r
06/12/2006, 09:37 AM
Not two males. They'll very likely go for each other and rip fins. You might trade one for a female.