PDA

View Full Version : do you ever vacation without your better half?

clavery
06/11/2006, 07:27 PM
My hubby left today on a motorcycle trip with his buddy. They're heading up to VT to Lake Champlain to do some fishing, then heading to a bike rally in NH, then home. While I'll miss him and worry about his safety on the road, it's going to be nice to have the remote to myself;) , not have to make a nice dinner every night (my son is just FINE with take-out), and get to hog the whole bed to myself.:D I will head out to my folks' beach house later this summer by myself. I enjoy it out there with them, and he has no desire to go, so I'll head out by myself and he'll stay home - and he's fine with that. Hubby and I will probably plan a vacation together in the fall sometime.

Which got me thinking about my question. Do you ever vacation apart from your better half?

VoidRaven
06/11/2006, 07:49 PM
Nope, not yet. We have a lot that we do together in regards to hobbies and such, plus we both love to travel so I can't yet even forsee a time when we would vacation separately.

Nina51
06/11/2006, 08:15 PM
for the last 3 years, i have done an ocean vacation with 4 bluebirding friends. we've been to charleston, s.c., savannah, ga., ponte vedra, fl. we met on an internet forum.

first time we got together, we felt like we'd known each other for years, other than online i mean. we are very diverse, all have different agendas but we have our bluebirds in common and we have the most wonderful time for a whole week.

i doubt i'll be making the trip this year, not sure if i ever will again. it depends on how gary is feeling. i want to spend every possible minute with him that i can. :)

fat-tony
06/11/2006, 08:30 PM
my only "vacation" was a weekend euchre tournament in canada memorial weekend this year. other than that, no not really.

TheBimbo
06/11/2006, 08:48 PM
never really been on a vacation Cheryl... :( Enjoy yourself lady!!!

Christy...:)

kfisc
06/11/2006, 08:49 PM
Nope. I bet people who have been together longer, say 15-20 years, probably have an easier time taking separate trips.

cward
06/11/2006, 08:53 PM
I go to IMAC and Macna without the wife.

aLittletank
06/11/2006, 11:35 PM
I go to Las Vegas every year for a 4 day Superbowl trip with my friend. My wife goes home to visit family 3-4 times a year with out me. She has also been to Hawaii with her sisters and is planning another trip this year with our son, her sister and niece.

I dont have a problem with it. We still take a family vacation every year. The driving force is that I need to save my leave (vacation time) for the family vacation, Christmas and my yearly pilgrimage to Vegas.

I dont think of it as separate vacations as much as a trip we both are not able to attend.

Bottom line, it requires the couple to trust each other.

Allen

emilye2
06/12/2006, 07:21 AM
I wish! I would pack my dogs and head to VT for a week every summer. Camp Gone to the Dogs here I come! Maybe when the girls are older. For now, we do the family vacation thing. :D

Saltz Creep
06/12/2006, 07:59 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7541777#post7541777 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by clavery
Do you ever vacation apart from your better half?
I would if I could :(

joeychitwood
06/12/2006, 08:35 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7541777#post7541777 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by clavery
Do you ever vacation apart from your better half? All the time! My spouse goes on chick trips to Mexico with her friends every winter and drives to the big city for shopping trips and mother/daughter vacations. I go on fishing and hunting trips, and on guys-only motorcycle trips every year. The best guy trip ever occurred a couple of years ago when we took our air ambulance plane (King Air 200) and flew to an Indy car race.

But, we also take cycle trips together, travel to Mexico on dive trips and go to my medical meetings together. I think separate vacations are a healthy thing for a marriage.

joedelt
06/12/2006, 08:43 AM
my wife is quite content staying at home. she wont even get a passport. I travel a fair amount, and always have, so i guess she assumed that was part of the deal?
that being said we do go on vacation together, but if involves more then 6 hours on a plane, odds are that she's not going

PoukieBear
06/12/2006, 09:26 AM
I've been on vacation once withought my hubby. I went to Cuba with a girlfriend from work.

Doug gets more vacation time than I do at work, so he usually gets to go somewhere withought me once or twice a year.

crp
06/12/2006, 09:37 AM
We travel together as a family. My husband has to travel for work (thought that's not really a vacation for him). He also goes hunting with his father one or two weekends a year.

Carrie

six.line
06/12/2006, 09:41 AM
I don't think I'd ever do it. It's not all a trust issue, I'd just prefer not to leave my wife alone for any real extended period of time. Guys/Gals night is another thing.

joeychitwood
06/12/2006, 09:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7544467#post7544467 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PoukieBear
I've been on vacation once withought my hubby. I went to Cuba with a girlfriend from work. Doug gets more vacation time than I do at work, so he usually gets to go somewhere withought me once or twice a year. Does Habib know you're married? Then again, does Doug?

PoukieBear
06/12/2006, 10:17 AM
Doug and I are not married! I'm way too young to be married!

And the only reason my relationship with Doug and Habib works is because they are on opposit sides of the ocean!

VoidRaven
06/12/2006, 11:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7544721#post7544721 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PoukieBear

And the only reason my relationship with Doug and Habib works is because they are on opposit sides of the ocean!

Ah, the ol' "geographical bachelorette" thing eh? Hey, if it works for ya!

clavery
06/12/2006, 11:42 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7544215#post7544215 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by joeychitwood
I think separate vacations are a healthy thing for a marriage.

I totally agree with you Doc. I think absence totally makes the heart grow fonder, and my cooking tastes better when he's been away from it for a while!!!!!!;)

Christy, you should come on vacation with me. We could do a whole girls weekend or something. Imagine all the trouble we could get into together!!!!!:D

joeychitwood
06/12/2006, 02:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7545197#post7545197 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by clavery
I totally agree with you Doc. I think absence totally makes the heart grow fonder, and my cooking tastes better when he's been away from it for a while!!!!!!;) That is true. And it becomes much easier to explain the new motorcycle in the garage when she gets home. "But honey, you got to go to Mexico." :confused:

jgoodrich71
06/12/2006, 02:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7544721#post7544721 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PoukieBear
Doug and I are not married! I'm way too young to be married!

Then what's this:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7544467#post7544467 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PoukieBear
I've been on vacation once withought my hubby.

You're not making any sense.:rolleyes:

My wife and I go on separate vacations all the time. We still do trips together, but sometimes the time apart is indespensable. I will usually take my son on trips just to someplace I've never been before, usually camping along the way. I like to explore. I never take the most direct route. My wife on the otherhand likes to pick a destination and go only to that destination, no side trips for her.

otolith
06/12/2006, 05:00 PM
I just went to Jimmy Buffett this past weekend without the wife, and I'm going to do it again next year. :) I encourage my wife to do something like this, but she prefers not to...

PoukieBear
06/12/2006, 05:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7546464#post7546464 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jgoodrich71
Then what's this:

You're not making any sense.:rolleyes:

My wife and I go on separate vacations all the time. We still do trips together, but sometimes the time apart is indespensable. I will usually take my son on trips just to someplace I've never been before, usually camping along the way. I like to explore. I never take the most direct route. My wife on the otherhand likes to pick a destination and go only to that destination, no side trips for her.

Hubby, Boyfriend, Significant other, Best mate, Lover, Friend with benefits, take your pick.

To me they all mean the same thing. The person who you are totaly head over heels for.

ENGINEERgoby
06/12/2006, 05:53 PM
I can't even vacation without my extended family. Wherever we go we travel at least in a group of 10! But we do visit relatives or parents separately (is that a vacation?) and go to conferences separately.

ENGINEERgoby
06/12/2006, 06:00 PM
BTW--Way too young? When I was your age, my husband and I had already been married for one year. Saying that sounds kind of odd since I'm only 25 now. But I like to think of us as ahead of the game :)

PoukieBear
06/13/2006, 08:06 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7547616#post7547616 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ENGINEERgoby
BTW--Way too young? When I was your age, my husband and I had already been married for one year. Saying that sounds kind of odd since I'm only 25 now. But I like to think of us as ahead of the game :)

And you're probably more mature than me too. :lol:

jpfelix
06/13/2006, 10:39 AM
it's good to have "me time" every so often.