PDA

View Full Version : UV Clarifier

SDFISHMAN
06/11/2006, 04:46 PM
I have a 55G reef setup and my small 2" powder blue tang is starting to show sighs of Ick.. I have a 5W UV Clarifier but I was told it will kill all my bacteria even the good bacteria.. Should I run it into the main tank or to the sump?? How many hours should I run it a day and will it kill off all my pods??

LBCBJ
06/11/2006, 06:01 PM
It wont get the parasites off your fish, just those in the water.

SDFISHMAN
06/11/2006, 06:29 PM
I guess it would be a waste of time to use the then huh.. I'm going to continue useing coral-vital for now. Any more info would help thanks..

DaveG99
06/11/2006, 06:37 PM
i would hook it up. It will kill the parasites in the free swimming stage. They will let go and try to reproduce and it will zap them when they are swimming. From what I have read I think the UV will not kill all your pods. I have seen many tanks including tanks of the month that run UV and have mandarins so that means they have plenty of pods. If you are worried about pod population just buy some every 2 months. I am going to run a UV for over all tank health. It helps IMO.

SDFISHMAN
06/11/2006, 07:08 PM
Not to worried about the mandarin he eats frozens.. I would have to hook it up in my sump the fuge part.. Thats what worries me. Would it killer or slow dowm my macro?? Another question would it work better being stright into the tank or in the sump??

DaveG99
06/11/2006, 07:20 PM
I am going to run mine in the sump. It wont even affect your macros.

SDFISHMAN
06/11/2006, 07:36 PM
Alright I think I'll give it a try thanks.. would you run it 24/7 or on a timer?? A couple LFS say to run it in the main tank put I have a clean tank no powerheads so I don't want a hose and Rio 800 hanging from the top..