PDA

View Full Version : how's the water in Memphis?

CaptainDave
06/11/2006, 01:58 PM
I'm getting ready to replace the filters in my RO/DI, and just wanted to check and see if there were any special considerations before I ordered. Blacksburg just recently converted to treating their water with chloramines, so we had to make some adjustments in our water treatment.

Do I need to take anything into consideration about the water in Memphis when ordering replacement filters, or is everyone running the standard 10/5/1 microns you normally get? How many TDS does Memphis water usually run?

Specifically, my brother and I will be living on Mud Island. We're moving down the first week of August, I can't wait.

Thanks for the info guys.

crpeck
06/12/2006, 09:37 AM
I run standard filters. Memphis water is supposed to be pretty good and I don't know of any special issues. I think you can view the test reports online through MLGW.

I just measured 59 TDS out of my tap and 02 from my RODI, which makes sense since I'm due for a filter change.

Do you know if Mud Island water comes from the same city water source of if they have a separate plant? I don't.

CaptainDave
06/12/2006, 10:12 AM
good deal, thanks for the response peck. I'm getting 80 TDS from the tap here in Blacksburg.

My utilities will be through MGLW, but I'm not sure if the water is the same or not.

luckyfish
06/12/2006, 11:10 AM
Your water will be the same. Memphis sits on top of a huge aquifer and the substrate acts as a diatom filter so our water is some of the best in the country. What you will want to filter out is alot of what MLG&W put in; chlorine, phosphates and such. The water in our one hundred year old house is usually 72-75 out of the tap. Cathy is correct, check the MLG&W web site I believe they give a list of additives. Welcome to town.

willember
06/12/2006, 08:59 PM
I'm on the island too, look me up when you get here

just dave
06/13/2006, 02:34 AM
We are number 5.

1. Kansas City, MO
2. Portland, OR
3. Louisville, KY
4. San Francisco, CA
5. Memphis, TN
6. San Antonio, TX
7. Oklahoma City, OK
8. Fort Worth, TX
9. Jacksonville, FL
10. Arlington, TX
11. Dallas, TX
12. San Jose, CA
13. Baltimore, MD
14. El Paso, TX
15. Sacramento, CA
16. Seattle, WA
17. Philadelphia, PA
18. Denver, CO
19. Austin, TX
20. Long Beach, CA
21. Albuquerque, NM
22. Miami, FL
23. Tucson, AZ
24. Fresno, CA
25. Tulsa, OK
26. Indianapolis, IN
27. Charlotte, NC
28. Colorado Springs, CO
29. Chicago, IL
30. Houston, TX
31. Cleveland, OH
32. Milwaukee, WI
33. Omaha, NE
34. Mesa, AZ
35. Phoenix, AZ
36. Detroit, MI
37. Oakland, CA
38. Minneapolis, MI
39. Atlanta, GA
40. Boston, MA
41. Colubus, OH
42. Las Vegas, NV
43. Nashville, TN
44. San Diego, CA
45. Washington, DC
46. Los Angeles, CA
N/A. Honolulu, HI
N/A. New Orleans, LA
N/A. New York, NY
N/A. Virginia Beach, VA

luckyfish
06/13/2006, 12:02 PM
Interesting list. I've lived in Louisville, KY they bribed the judges to rank higher than us.

CaptainDave
06/13/2006, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I guess anything would be better than what I was used to living in Knoxville.

swalker
06/13/2006, 08:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7552187#post7552187 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luckyfish
Interesting list. I've lived in Louisville, KY they bribed the judges to rank higher than us.

Yes, that is an interesting list. I lived in Dallas for a year and a half and they have the nastiest water I have ever seen. Every body in Dallas talks about how bad it is and most people don't drink it at all. Oh well!

acro-wrasse
06/16/2006, 09:32 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7555630#post7555630 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by swalker
Yes, that is an interesting list. I lived in Dallas for a year and a half and they have the nastiest water I have ever seen. Every body in Dallas talks about how bad it is and most people don't drink it at all. Oh well!

I have inlaws in Dallas and I agree with the "nastiest water" comment. I have sucked tank water by accident that tasted better than dallas' water. Who ever made that list must not have drank the water!!!