PDA

View Full Version : glass cages low iron glass vs starfire

Sparkss
06/11/2006, 12:09 AM
How does the low iron glass that GlassCages uses compare with Starfire glass ? (or even diamente?).

Monkey_Bone
06/11/2006, 02:39 AM
Low iron glass is typicly more clear "whiter".
IMHO starfire glass is greenish.
Diamente Glass is also "Low iron glass" and is typicly totaly clear with no green hue from a profile.

Sparkss
06/11/2006, 03:11 PM
the starfire I had seen didn't have any green hue, I am surprised that you felt that it did. Are you sure that you were looking at Starfire glass and not just OEM glass (which definitely has a greenish tint). And Starfire glass is a low-iron glass, it just is a "named" one produced by PPG.

mntl
06/11/2006, 04:14 PM
I have a starfire tank, it has a slight aqua hue, if you go to their website they even describe it as being aqua or slightly blue. Good low iron glass will look more white/clear. Most likely if you have seen something labeled "starfire" and it does not have any tint at all, then it is not true starfire, even the manufacturer will claim this.

-John-

Sparkss
06/11/2006, 04:29 PM
John,

Thanx for the information. I am just wondering how GlassCages low-iron glass compares to PPGs StarFire glass :)

mntl
06/11/2006, 08:48 PM
Imo it is very clear, and cheaper. I was able to see samples when they were vendors at a swap, it looked very clear/I dont recall seeing any tinge of color, just clear.

-John-

Sparkss
06/11/2006, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the feedback. But now I am faced with deciding to use GC at all, for QC reasons. Boyo my eyes hurt from all of the reading :(