PDA

View Full Version : does the aga 50g have a center brace?

nemo g
06/11/2006, 12:03 AM
ive been getting different answers on this

:D

nemo g
06/11/2006, 11:53 AM
anyone?

Lpsfanatic338
06/11/2006, 12:26 PM
Yes

flameangel88
06/11/2006, 12:27 PM
Yes, it is used for supporting the glass covers.

fe342185
06/11/2006, 12:34 PM
I dont think the 50 gal breeders have a center brace. The 55 definitely does but the 30/40/50 breeders do not. The 3 foot tank with a center brace is the 65 which is what I have. I cut off the plastic brace and retrofited an acrylic so I could use one halide w/o the shadow. Another tank to consider is the oceanic 58 gal which is also braceless. All these tank have the same foot print. 36x18

nemo g
06/13/2006, 01:00 AM
i was afraid it did have the brace. i wonder if it needs the bracing as much as the 65? wonder if i could get away with cutting it off without any issues.

its only 2 inches taller than the 40, cant become that much weaker, could it?

the 65g i understand, as it is 2' tall, thats a lot more pressure than for the 16" 40g.

i'm waiting on an email from aga to get some sort of 100% verification.

i would love to get the oceanic. i dont mind that its 2x the price, as ive already spent a few hundred $$ on throw away supplies in a few months. so spending an extra hundred or two on something that is nicer and permanent is nothing to make an issue over.

however, i do plan on getting a larger tank in the future, and would rather save the dough for the 120g or 90g cube upgrade.

plus, the stand is also twice the price, that and its 32" tall. i prefer the aga height of 28". perfect for sit down viewing. i dont want to have the sand at eye level. id like to have the middle of the tank as close to eye level as possible. furthermore, the lower stand also makes working in the tank easier, as im not 6' tall.

and no, the oceanic tank does not fit properly on the aga stand. ive seen and measured both in person. there would be 1/4" hanging on every edge which means that only 1/4" of the trim will be n contact with the stand. its probably posible to get a sheet of would cut and stained to fit on the aga stand as a new top, but this will add $$ take time, raise the tank, and wont look as good. so if thats the case, i might as well get the oceanic stand, which i already decided id rather not.

ill let you guys know if aga ever gets back to me.