PDA

View Full Version : Best sand for a DSB

antony1103
06/10/2006, 09:52 PM
I want to set up a 5-6 inch DSB in my 75 gallon but don't knwo what sand would be best. Any suggestions? I'm lloking for grain size or specific brands.

I wanted Southdown but i just check the home depot around here and they don't carry it. Other than that i'm thinking of Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=7326&N=2004+113554) .

antony1103
06/10/2006, 09:56 PM
I just found this to.
Seafloor Pink Figi Sand (http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CS0022)

dreaminmel
06/10/2006, 11:46 PM
It's not called Southdown anymore... I just got some from our local Home Depot. It's called KolorScapes by OldCastle and passes the vinegar test. The bag says not for use in aquariums but many use this as it is the same stuff that used to be labeled Southdown.

Slickdonkey
06/11/2006, 02:11 AM
Well if it was me I wouldn't put anything that says "not for use in aquariums" into my tank.

I know some people who have used cheap silica sand (often used for sandblasting) without problems.

salty joe
06/11/2006, 07:26 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7538438#post7538438 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Slickdonkey
Well if it was me I wouldn't put anything that says "not for use in aquariums" into my tank.

Generally, I agree. But the sand warning is there because a company that markets the exact product for aquariums, and charges a lot more, has a deal with the people who control the sand. I read awhile ago that all the arragonite sand comes from the same place, the Caribean, I think.

Any way, don't take this for absolute gospel, I can't remember where I read it.

Joe

dreaminmel
06/11/2006, 05:21 PM
Salty Joe is in fact correct... ;)

antony1103
06/11/2006, 08:31 PM
What would be the best grain size for a DSB?

dreaminmel
06/11/2006, 08:41 PM
I am going with a very minimal sand bed in my 125 upgrade but the DSB in my 72 was comprised of 80lbs of crushed coral on the bottom and 40lbs of super fine sand on top. That worked quite well for years but recently I started to suspect it of needing to be revamped due to some pockets of nastiness deep within and I recently removed over half the bed.

I do not claim to have all the answers on DSB or even close but would think that using many different sizes would be beneficial for different organisms and bacteria. I would suggest that no matter what size you decide on that you direct flow into all bottom areas so that collecting detritus may not end up being the problem for you that it was for me.

antony1103
06/12/2006, 05:31 PM
I was think on the lines of about 150 lbs. of special grade reef sand throughout the whole tank. Does it benefit from having different layers of different grades of sand?

dreaminmel
06/12/2006, 06:29 PM
I read an article somewhere on here months ago about different grains sizes being beneficial but it didn't go so far as to suggest different layers. The biggest reason I had the crushed coral layer on the bottom was to get the 4" bed depth without having to buy quite so much sand. I really didn't have any reasonable basis for it, just liked the way it looked.

Many here use the special grade reef sand and love it.

Angel*Fish
06/12/2006, 09:54 PM
There's good argument for using an oolitic sand - not sure if Southdown is in that category

antony1103
06/12/2006, 11:03 PM
I tried oolitic before the move. I personally didn't like it. I wanted something a little bigger, but not to big. The small grains were kicked up by my power heads too easily. I can see why sps dominated tanks go bare bottom. I would but i just don't like the look of it IMO.

MDboyz
06/12/2006, 11:13 PM
DSB is awesome. However, I would advice you to think twice before putting it in your display. If you have space, like others, you can do a remote DSB.. such as DSB in a bucket or something. And it also works great too.

I spent all the whole day last weekend to take out the 5+inches DSB in my tank after more than 3 years. I tell you it was a pain and smell so bad. However, I'm pretty happy now, 'cuz I gain so much space, and the tank looks much better. Believe me, I love the DSB, but over the time, the 5 inches DSB started to get so ugly. I'm still using the DSB.. but in a bucket now... :)

Oh.. My tank is 75gal also...

Here are the pix of my tank before and after.....

Before:
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/17277fulltank01112006_2.jpg

or

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/17277Fulltank-Dec04.jpg

After:
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/17277fulltank061206.jpg

cb9tunerguy
06/12/2006, 11:46 PM
i just made a 4" dsb using kolorscape by old castle. i have no problems at all. it is much cheaper than buying sand from the lfs. i got mine from wal-mart for about $2.00 a bag.

Angel*Fish
06/13/2006, 11:55 AM
antony1103, I'm not sure and when i have more time I will find the link to R.Shimek's explanation of which sand to use & why...but i think teeny sand is required for an effective DSB and that the Southdown is categorized as "sugarfine"

Somebody step in here if I'm wrong :D I set my sandbed up quite a while back & I don't retain info like I did when I was younger;)

I haven't read all the DSB threads - but I believe if you set up a remote DSB, you must have a-m-a-z-i-n-g circulation in your main tank. So much of what it "performs" is the result of what actually lands on the bed.

Then I guess really it depends on whether you are talking about the ammonia to nitrate process only or want the added effect of the DSB critters. Obviously you must maintain a certain amount of fauna to the keep the sand from clumping and becoming ineffective for the conversion to nitrate - but my DSB is packed with so much life that it actually processes detritus. To get that detritus to a sump >>>> you must have that amazing circulation I mentioned.

Of course if you're an SPS man - you probably don't believe in detritus ;)

HTH :)