PDA

View Full Version : Cyano taking over the sandbed. Please help

FishNutzBoi
06/10/2006, 09:12 PM
I have a bad case of cyano. It seems to be taking over the whole sandbed from dif. patches.

I reduced feeding to once a day.
I lowered one of my PH to increase flow in the lower area.
I changed/added AC and phosguard
I tried removing and covering the slime but it always come back after a couple of hours

What else can i do?

TIA

Sk8r
06/10/2006, 09:32 PM
You're about due for it...in age of your tank. If you can believe it, this too shall pass. If it threatens specimens, there is Chemi-clean, but in a very young tank, it plays hob with the relatively weak and new bioactivity in the sandbed---it is, after all, a bactericide, and it doesn't discriminate too well. Won't hurt corals or fish, to my knowledge, but if you can possibly tough it through this with water changes and blasting flow through your tank, try that first.

babyhead
06/10/2006, 09:36 PM
I kept doing larger than average water changes weekly, and taking a small dispenser cup and manually skimming off the top layer of the sand - as little as possible - whenever it got thick. Over time the outbreaks became less frequent and smaller, until they eventually disapeared. I noticed one of my damsels eating some of it too, off the sand bed. In my case, I had recently added much more powerful lighting and some new corals and fish to a very large established tank. I think the tank was just naturally readjusting to the changes, but it takes time.

kevin kaplan
06/10/2006, 09:41 PM
my tank is a little over 6 months old and i've been over my bacteria bloom for about 2 months. I did and still do weekly 10% water changes. I increased my flow and I added salifert all-in-one. When I did my changes, i would use a small air tube as the syphon and basically suck up all the slime. i would make sure not to let any of it get away because it would multiply wherever it landed. I did this for a few weeks and sure enough, the coralline exploded and away went the ugly bacteria! I hope this helps.

FishNutzBoi
06/11/2006, 08:20 AM
So, i should do weekly WC's and increase flow? That's it? How long does it take for cyano to disappear "if" i have enough flow and WC's

I've heard that cyano can harm corals by interfering their calcification process?

Thanks alot for the replies

szwab
06/11/2006, 10:18 AM
I'd also test for phosphates and nitrates in your tank. high levels would contribute to it's growth