PDA

View Full Version : substrate question

bboy aqua
06/10/2006, 06:22 PM
right now in my 10g I have crushed coral in there
its about 2" deep
I know it wont be considered dsb nitate reducer but is it adding any other cons to my tank?
what if i do a rdsb in a bucket with oolitic sand and keep the crushed coral in my main tank?
mainly whats the pros and cons
or if its not good or bad to have crushed coral

Monkey_Bone
06/11/2006, 02:35 AM
Oh god yes it adds more cons than pros in a reef.
traps debirs and makes the entire bed an algae magnet. :(
Ditch it and buy some aragonite.

Most people use it in thier fish only tanks with LR or simply to give rics and softies somthing to grab on to to be glued to somthing else later. It offers little for a reef envoirment.

bboy aqua
06/11/2006, 03:02 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7538487#post7538487 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Monkey_Bone
Oh god yes it adds more cons than pros in a reef.
traps debirs and makes the entire bed an algae magnet. :(
Ditch it and buy some aragonite.

Most people use it in thier fish only tanks with LR or simply to give rics and softies somthing to grab on to to be glued to somthing else later. It offers little for a reef envoirment.

its an algae magnet assuming i have high nutrients right?
is there any way I can keep my tank healthy using crushed coral?

Monkey_Bone
06/11/2006, 03:18 AM
ALOT of flow acrossed the substrate, and alot of substrate sifting snails. IE nassarius vibex ( NOT the eastern mud welks being passed off as nassarius vibex on Ebay and aquabid. they are cold ater animals and will DIE in you reef.)

Its realy not worth it to have crushed coral in a reef.
give it time and you will see exactly hat I mean.
Long stringy hair algae all over it.
Its not that your tank is in a poor statein general, its that the crushed coral will collect ALOT of crap quickly in betwene the larger peices and trap ip here it cant be filtered out.