PDA

View Full Version : hermit crab with an anemone

reefNetWork
06/10/2006, 01:55 PM
Yesterday at a LFS i stopped by i saw a big hermit crab with an anemone on its back. it was the craziest looking crab ive ever seen. has anyone else seen one of these? i wanted to get it but it doesnt seem safe to a have a crab running around your tank with an anemone on its back stinging everything.

reefNetWork
06/10/2006, 01:55 PM
Actually there was more like 3 small anemones on its back.

Apparition
06/10/2006, 06:41 PM
They're pretty common online, but I've only ever seen one at my LFS. The only problem is that the anenome's often die, but if it's alive at the LFS then that's probably a good sign. Like any anenome, I'm sure the stinging would bother corals, but considering their small size it might not be a problem. I'd be interested in what others have to say about this too.

LeslieH
06/10/2006, 09:15 PM
The most common anemone crab is Dardanus pedunculatus but there are several other species. These are big aggressive predators which will do their best to eat pretty much everything in your tank. Not a good choice unless you plan to dedicate a tank just to the crab.

reefNetWork
06/12/2006, 02:48 AM
yeah i wont be getting one. i just thought it was pretty sweet looking. thanks

Rossini
06/12/2006, 08:09 AM
I have just got rid of mine. Took him to a LFS in exchange fro some Nass snails. He was a real character. But he killed a few red leg hermits,and I caught him trying to catch my LN Butterflyfish. He lived i the sump after that. The anemones were great they split,and grew into three. They were a really nice pink colour.

I would advise against keeping one of these.