PDA

View Full Version : Any home depot rock tank safe?

enutees
06/10/2006, 01:42 PM
I'm building a bubble tower and I need some rubble to throw in it. I don't feel like paying the $5 a lb. It will take 3 or 4 so I was looking at the different types of rock at HD. They sell various sizes and types for $3-$5 for a huge bag.

Is any of this stuff okay in the tank? It won't show and it is really just there to break up the bubbles so being live matters little to me.

Thanks in advance.

reefnetworth
06/10/2006, 01:46 PM
no! you need rubble "live rock" mostLFS will have it for $1-2.00 for rubble. you may use lava rock for this particular application.also available at LFS. REEF-ON!!!

reefshadow
06/10/2006, 01:56 PM
I think the "reef bones" are pretty cheap.

you can use tufa if you can find it.

Cheapest would probably be to make your own out of cement (I think there are recipes here on RC) , but it takes time to cure.

I would be hesitant to recommend any other types of rock, most metamorphic and sedimentary types can release undesirable minerals, elements or organics, so be very carefull.

If you are really stuck, how about tumbled glass? It would be inert, cheap and easy to find. May not be the shape you want though.

HTH! :)

enutees
06/10/2006, 02:21 PM
Just trying to be cheap. I'll go spend the $20. I've never seen any of the stores here willing to sell rubble cheaper. I'll ask though. I've bought some before and was charged the normal price. That was a few years back though.

Thanks

Paintbug
06/10/2006, 04:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7535636#post7535636 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by enutees
Just trying to be cheap. I'll go spend the $20. I've never seen any of the stores here willing to sell rubble cheaper. I'll ask though. I've bought some before and was charged the normal price. That was a few years back though.

Thanks

ask for base or dry rock. most LFS sell it cheap. and if they only have larger pieces, then you can always break it up with a hammer.

DarthBaiter
06/10/2006, 04:38 PM
I think LFS also sells "lace" rock which is cheaper and reef safe, just dead.