PDA

View Full Version : Best fish to control filamentous algae?

ENGINEERgoby
06/09/2006, 06:50 PM
Hello all--

I have been "struggling with" a hair algae problem since I started 2 years ago in a 29 gallon. Now I have gradually moved on from a 29 to a 55 and now a 120, but the algae is still there. Definitely not growing as fast, but still there in clumps on a bunch of the rocks. I had phosphates checked at the LFS and the reading was low but that could be because the algae is sequestering it. My husband does a ~10% water change every other week and that's all he's willing to do, so changing more water is not an option. I've read about the sea hare but not really interested in putting that critter in my tank. So... I am wondering what fish are best for removing green hair algae.

All I've got right now is 2 clowns and a small sailfin tang, in addition to an clean-up crew of about 30-40 blue leg hermits, 9 turbo snails some other small snails and 2 emerald crabs plus some others. The sailfin was supposed to eat the hair algae but I've only seen it occasionally nibble. It seems to prefer the thin mat of algae that grows on the tank walls.

I still have room for more fish and would like to stick to those that might eat the filamentous algae. I have read the Rainfordi goby eats the hair algae...Can anyone corroborate this before I buy a few of them? Or any other suggestions? I could probably fit one more tang in the tank.

Thanks for your input.

ariel47
06/09/2006, 07:03 PM
kole {yellow eye} tang

bmrigs
06/09/2006, 08:28 PM
I had hair algae and two big *** mexican turbo snails cleaned house in a couple days in my 180. I must be fortunate though because my blue regal tang, coral beauty, and believe or not, some of my green chromis graze on it all day. So its almost gone. I would like some of the hair algae to continue to grow as a supplement food source for these fish if they continue to desire for it.

blufish
06/09/2006, 08:35 PM
What kind of skimmer do you use? And do you use RO/DI water for top-off?

Amphiprion
06/09/2006, 10:44 PM
Most of the Zebrasoma and Acanthurus tang species (some exceptions), as well as many Ecsenius and Salarias blennies.

dous
06/09/2006, 10:47 PM
tangs love algae

dous
06/09/2006, 10:47 PM
I heard foxface loves to eat algae too.

Amphiprion
06/09/2006, 11:00 PM
Yes, left out the Siganids.

ENGINEERgoby
06/10/2006, 09:24 AM
We have our own RO/DI unit and TDS meter at home, I checked the TDS recently the filters don't need chaning yet.

The skimmer is a AquaC Remora. This is what I had on the 55 and I haven't replaced it yet. I know it is undersized so I am watching Ebay for a "new" used skimmer but am having trouble finding something that will fit in the sump that came with the tank . It's an Oceanic trickle filter sump and the largest spot to put an in-sump skimmer is approximately 5"*5"*16" high if I keep the lid on.

I wish my turbo snails would do the job but they prefer the tank walls. Which is probably good, since in the past week or so I had one get stuck in a crevice in the LR and die, and another get stuck upside down on the LR and I had to flip it over. These new snails I got are particularly dumb :confused: . I think my pink urchins might eat a little but they prefer to scrape off the coralline.

PatMayo
06/10/2006, 10:29 AM
What kind of flow do you have in the tank? I think flow will help solve your problem. I have approximately 31 X turnover in my tank with zero algae.

If you watch your feeding, have good flow and utilize a rowaphos reactor I would bet your algae problem would disappear in short order.

Another option is to bite the bullet and buy a "good" HOB protein skimmer. Deltec makes an excellent model but you pay the big bucks.

Fish really are not answer as they do not address the underlying problems and typically only add to the problem by adding more nutrients.

Regards,

Pat

Regards,

Pat

ENGINEERgoby
06/10/2006, 12:03 PM
Right now the only flow is from the return pump. It's a little giant 4-MDQX-SC so if I assume 1000gph that's about 8X. I was thinking about adding a closed loop for more flow and/or a phosban reactor.

ENGINEERgoby
06/10/2006, 12:36 PM
I don't want to give the impression that the hair algae is completely out of control, since it's not...Basically it is in maybe around 10 separate clumps around the tank. It is much better than it used to be but these clumps just keep growing back after I try to yank out the algae by hand.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/125068TankRb.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/125068TankLb.jpg

I took one pic with flash but I don't think it made the algae more visible.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/125068TankL2b.jpg

It's not growing very well any more since the 120 has less light and the water is pretty clean. I need something to finish it off and keep it under control. So I figured fish would do the job, but I think I will add more flow as well.