PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a PhosBan Reactor ?

Scudd
06/09/2006, 04:40 PM
I've have a problem with green hair algea and cyno algea growing only on the sand bed. Water quality tests out perfect. The rocks are clean...only coralline algae growth. I cant figure out where the excess nutrients are coming from. Would a Phosban reactor help?
What are the disadvantages of using one?

DarthBaiter
06/09/2006, 05:08 PM
How old is the sandbed? Would an old sandbed do what you are describing before it crashes? Anyone out there with more knowledge on this?

lakebound
06/09/2006, 05:14 PM
Are you running a sump with a fuge? If so, do you have macro in there? That will help deplete the excess nutrient supply. How is your flow?

Scudd
06/09/2006, 08:45 PM
The sand bed was transplanted from a 65 gallon about 2months ago mixed with more"new" live sand. All the live rock was tranplanted aswell. The live rock in the tank is between 3 to 5 years old. The 65 gallon was running for 8 months. I have a sump that was converted from a wet/dry. No i dont have a fuge, because of space limits. The tank is a 90 corner...this leaves hardley any room below the tank.

LobsterOfJustice
06/09/2006, 09:59 PM
It's cheap enough to set one up. I would do it, I've had good experiences with mine.

lakebound
06/09/2006, 10:21 PM
It couldnt hurt thats for sure. I think when you transplanted the sand bed into the new from the old may have presented the problem. My change over was "seeded" with only one cup of the old sand and the rest new. Opinions vary from person to person as you may have seen so take it for what its worth, but give the reactor a shot, just dont go over the threashold of flow to the media or it will turn to dust.

Gerad
06/09/2006, 11:25 PM
What are youa phosphates? if they are low then you propbly don't need one. How old are your lights sometimes a new boulb is all it takes. You alsow may want to look at how much you are feeding. I finde it more usefull to finde the soars then just fix the problem. And yes one of the great things about reefing is there will always be new ones. lol :)

fishdoc11
06/09/2006, 11:28 PM
The sand bed was transplanted from a 65 gallon about 2months ago

IMO it's highly likely that's your problem right there. It's never a good idea to reuse an old sandbed.

Chris