PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Here

sexystarfish77
06/09/2006, 06:59 AM
hello all.

I just wanted to introduce myself , My name is Jenn. Im a newbie at this, so if anyone as any advice that would be great.

I have a 75 gal FOWLR and Im hopeing to get into Reef soon, but I need to research on it ALOT more.

Thanks All,

LFS_worker
06/09/2006, 07:02 AM
welcome to URS lots of smart, funny, and very helpful people here.

:) :)

your LFS_worker

SkiFletch
06/09/2006, 07:24 AM
Welcome, you've come to the right place :D

Lots of great help here and we hope ou feel right at home

bdamon
06/09/2006, 07:25 AM
:wavehand:

St.james of reefdom
06/09/2006, 07:30 AM
:wavehand: :wavehand: Hi Jenn Welcome to URS ....a Great place to hang out

Blugobi
06/09/2006, 07:33 AM
hey Jen, you found the right place, lots of great help here.

crp
06/09/2006, 07:46 AM
[welcome]

I'm in Clay. Lots of nice, helpful people here.

Carrie

Jamie2337
06/09/2006, 08:11 AM
Good to have you. You have come to the right place! :fun4:

Chrsnwk
06/09/2006, 08:26 AM
Welcome !! Glad to meet you :)

The_Boyz1
06/09/2006, 08:31 AM
Welcome to URS...

nwrogers
06/09/2006, 08:44 AM
Welcome to URS! :)

I would highly recommend reading this article titled "So, you want to start a Marine tank…" by Hennie Landman. It has some great information for people just getting started…

http://www.reefcentral.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=1

Read this and if you have any questions let us know. A few things to remember…

1) Research before you buy. (That is true for both livestock and equipment!)
2) Be patient. (So the famous saying goes, “In a reef aquarium, only bad things happen quickly”)
3) Ask questions if you cannot find the answers you are looking for. (It is good to search the site for answers first. You will find a lot of information this way. If you cannot find the answer then ask us. Someone here knows how to help :))

Good luck…

Nate

Namyar
06/09/2006, 08:47 AM
Welcome and we are all here to help

Rick Maley
06/09/2006, 09:27 AM
Welcome. I'm down in Tully , just south of Syracuse. RickM

der_wille_zur_macht
06/09/2006, 09:32 AM
Welcome. There are lots of us in central NY.

If you get a chance to head west, be sure to check out the shops in Rochester and Buffalo, there are a few that are stellar.

vitaldefect001
06/09/2006, 10:20 AM
welcome....
how may we help you?

-brandon

Stephany
06/09/2006, 10:31 AM
Hey I'm stephany. I'm in liverpool so not too far. ;)

What fish do you have?

m-fine
06/09/2006, 10:51 AM
My advice,

Make a budget, double it twice

Research, research and research.

research some more.

Seriously, I bet everyone on here who has had a tank more then 18 months has made at least one mistake they regret be it a purchase, placement or setup decision.

If you are handy and patient you can find used gear and make Do it Yourself projects to save money, but be aware DIY can end up costing more, especially if you don't get it right the first time.

If I were in your shoes, I would go to a few meets and visit any reefers who will invite you in to see not only their displays, but more importantly the equipment behind it.

Finally, DO NOT start a reef without a tank that is drilled first. Overflow boxes can work great 99.99% of the time, but you would be amazed at how much of a disaster that other 0.01% can be. I setup a non drilled tank just over 6 years ago and I have regretted it ever since. I will be emptying the tank to drill it this summer and I expect it will take me about 50 times longer then had I done it right 6 years ago!

Oh yeah, and WELCOME!

m-fine

P.s. Stop by the explain your screen name thread ;)

stupac21
06/09/2006, 11:04 AM
Welcome, I'm new myself, and also a teacher. What do you teach??

zanclus
06/09/2006, 11:10 AM
Welcome to the URS!!! There are many great minds in this group so remember a mind is a terrible thing to waste...pick a few. Also I am having a club meet on 7/16 here in Groton so make yourself known and driop on by. John

Stephany
06/09/2006, 11:15 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7528737#post7528737 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by m-fine

Seriously, I bet everyone on here who has had a tank more then 18 months has made at least one mistake they regret be it a purchase, placement or setup decision.

Finally, DO NOT start a reef without a tank that is drilled first. Overflow boxes can work great 99.99% of the time, but you would be amazed at how much of a disaster that other 0.01% can be. I setup a non drilled tank just over 6 years ago and I have regretted it ever since. I will be emptying the tank to drill it this summer and I expect it will take me about 50 times longer then had I done it right 6 years ago!

I regret so much... Mine is drilled, but it doesn't have a backup overflow. I was at Gary M's house and he said you always want a backup overflow. It's unlikely two will get clogged. My roommate has been acquiring things over a long period of time, where I got the tank, set it up... and as it cycled acquired and researched as I went. She's been learning from all my mistakes, and in the end... her setup will be practically perfect.

der_wille_zur_macht
06/09/2006, 11:20 AM
This is getting off topic a bit, but on the flip side, hang-ons aren't total disasters, if you foolproof them. Especially if you have two on the same tank. In some situations, it's nearly the only way to go, especially since you can commonly get the equipment for free or cheap (since no one wants an undrilled tank!) Also, hang-ons take up less space within the tank.

Maybe I'm biased though, after years of running tanks that were not drilled I've never had a problem. Come to think of it, I've only ever had one drilled tank, and that was a DIY overflow that went through the back panel near the top instead of through the bottom.

reeffool
06/09/2006, 11:31 AM
:wave: :fish1: :bounce1: HELLO AND WELCOME I AM FAIRLY NEW ON THIS SITE AS WELL . TONS OF GREAT INFO AND PEOPLE.

kase
06/09/2006, 11:49 AM
HI ...my name is kase and i am an ADDICATED to REEFING....:)
it a drug...you'll see..

Gary Majchrzak
06/09/2006, 03:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7527562#post7527562 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LFS_worker
welcome to URS lots of smart, funny, and very helpful people here.

:) :)

your LFS_worker

Thank goodness you were honest and didn't tell her we were good looking!

Welcome to the gang, Jenn. :)

zanclus
06/12/2006, 02:13 PM
Hey Gary wait a sec...I'm good looking lol

kgraham
06/12/2006, 04:31 PM
Hi I'm new here too. Welcome.