PDA

View Full Version : May have been phished by phone

O'Man
06/08/2006, 08:15 PM
Got a call claiming to be from from a well known bank promising me a credit card for 13K at zero interest, "all we need is your date of birth, if you are not comfortable with giving us the date, I can give you the last 4 digits of your social security number."
Me "well you did not show up on my caller id, so I don't know who you are, so. . . NO. Her " Really, even if I give you you last 4 social number?" Me, I'm just not comfortable, so no. Her "ok" click.

What do you think? BS? Fraud? Theft attempt? Did I dodge a potential nightmare?

I wish I had pushed to see if she really had my social security number, but naturally, I thought of it as she was hanging up.

Is there any thing I should do, other than being thankful I did not give out any info?

dc
06/08/2006, 08:22 PM
LOL, be thankful! I have had calls saying they were the bank with unknown caller ID. I wouldn't give information either.

Agu
06/08/2006, 08:23 PM
Use your caller ID or star 69 and report them to your phone company. If you're on the Do Not Call list it's a double wammy.

Not that the phone companies care :rolleyes:

iCam
06/08/2006, 08:25 PM
I got a call today on my cell phone, someone asking for my mother. I told her, sorry, this is my phone, I don't live with my parents. So, the person asked where they could be reached, and I asked what the call was about. The person just said, "It's a very important and private call", so I did not give her their number.

I looked up the area code, and it was an Arizona area code. Okay, we lived in Arizona, but it was years and years ago. I privately called the number back and found out where the call was from.

I don't understand how they would have my cell number, though.

O'Man, if I were presented with that question, I would have asked that they send a letter. I don't like to do stuff over the phone involving private information.

fat-tony
06/08/2006, 08:34 PM
my cell's literally a couple close digits from the social security office. nothing like getting a random call from a confused sr citizen.

Minuteman
06/08/2006, 08:44 PM
I particularly love it when somebody calls and asks who I am...

Sk8r
06/08/2006, 09:03 PM
As you know, no hotel clerk is supposed to give out the room number of a guest. One of the old PI dodges is to go up to the desk of a hotel and say: "Is Mr. Smith in room 222?" "No," says the clerk. PI produces piece of paper, squints, shows it to the clerk. "I'm sure that's what he said. Could he have changed rooms?" Clerk, searching records: "Looks like it's 182."...and you've got it.
They might tell you a wrong number. If you say that's not it, they may argue with you, and some people psychologically cannot stand not to win an argument: they'll tell their real number to prove their point.
Go figure.

Hunter21
06/08/2006, 09:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7525571#post7525571 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lbrty9
I particularly love it when somebody calls and asks who I am...

LOL!! I so agree! We have these old people constantly calling us for some lady named ms. ellis and a ms. ellis never lived in this house as the previous owners of our house built it and lived in it their whole lives till they moved, then we bought from them. so all these old people call, ask for her and we always say she never lived here and quite a few say "who's this?" :rolleyes: lol

Erin

catdoc
06/08/2006, 10:46 PM
We had a phone call at work today from a youngish sounding girl who was claiming to be doing a book report on date-rape drugs, she was specifically interested in ketamine. She started asking weird questions--especially "have you ever been robbed for ketamine?" and "how is it protected from theft?" The tech thought the whole thing sounded fishy so started asking HER questions. Then she wouldn't give her last name (claimed she couldn't hear b/c the connection was bad although the tech on the phone could hear another girl in the background prompting to ask this, that or the other.) She wouldn't give her teacher's name either. Once she realized she wasn't going to get any info, she came up with a generic-sounding name and hung up. Then our tech spent half an hour calling every other vet in town to forewarn them that someone may be scoping things out. Creepy and I'm glad I'm not the one on call this weekend!