PDA

View Full Version : Question about drilling holes....

daaaaaan
06/07/2006, 11:19 PM
I have a spare 56 gallon collum tank that i have some ideas for.....but I would like to run a sump on it, but it doesnt have any holes drilled....can I take it to a local window shop, and have them drill holes along the top of the tank, with out causing it to weaken, and break under pressure when i fill it up with water?

Also, I am going to be running a 30gallon sump, so how many, and what size holes do you suggest? Also what size bulkheads?

Fiziksgeek
06/08/2006, 12:13 PM
If you just need to get water to and from the sump, a 1" drain and maybe a couple of 3/4" returns would work just fine for a flow rate of 150-300gph. This assumes that any additional flow will be comming from power heads.

A glass shop, or even a LFS will probably drill the tank for you. But, they will charge, and the drilling will be guaranteed (in most cases) If the tank cracks, your out of luck.

rsxs1212
06/08/2006, 12:44 PM
or you could just go for an HOB overflow but i prefer drilled

daaaaaan
06/08/2006, 01:09 PM
I prefer drilled too.......I am looking for a flow rate of around 500gph, so what size holes do you suggest? I want all my flow coming from my return in the sump.....

rsxs1212
06/08/2006, 01:14 PM
well more is always better. but most people run about a 1 inch drain and 3/4 inch returns. but you could always step up to a 1 1/2 drain and 1 inch returns or whatever. i suggest you just put ballvales on the drain and return but mainly the drain so you can fine tune the gph. megaflows use 1 inch drains and 3/4 inch return i believe and they are rated 600gph i think. i am not sure though so dont put your life on it haha