PDA

View Full Version : Can I paint walls and ceilings with a spraygun & compressor?

fe342185
06/07/2006, 02:55 PM
I have to prime and paint almost the entire interior of the house I am moving into. First I want to prime then buy a 5 gallon can of white to paint all the moldings and ceiling. Then mask it all off then roll with the color I want to use. Will this work.

I just purchased an air compressor and if this idea works then I will buy the spray paint attachment.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance...

MandM
06/07/2006, 03:04 PM
If the house is not furnished. Otherwise you will spend more time draping/fighting hoses and cleaning up than you would just using a roller by hand. I would recommend an airless sprayer instead. You can probably rent one, get the roller attachment that feeds paint to the roller for the walls and spray ceilings if they have heavy texture. There is far less mess and waste from overspray with the airless. You need to add flotrol to condition the paint, Home Depot has it. I've had good luck with their Behr premium paint. It's worth the price. A decent primer coat is also a good idea.

fe342185
06/07/2006, 03:09 PM
The house will be empty and I will probaby just have to mask the windows and some some of the floor. the bedrooms have carpet and I will be removing it anyway to I dont care about overspray. I was just wondering if painting in this fashion is done for house interiors or if it was just for exteriors and speacial projects. Thanks

crp
06/07/2006, 03:27 PM
Hand rolling is the best in my opinion. I had one of those air sprayers before and it was more trouble than it was worth, plus you loose a lot of paint in the hose when you clean it.

I would also suggest painting the walls first and then the molding.

Carrie

Agu
06/07/2006, 03:36 PM
Unless you're experienced using a paint sprayer and have good equipment it's not worth it to use one indoors. Besides , you'll have spray paint in every nook and cranny of your house.

Qwiv
06/07/2006, 03:38 PM
No way. Spray the house if you care about your time. I would suggest you get a airless sprayer from the rental place as these are much nicer. You can spray out your house in (2) days. Primer - Paint - Paint. You can skip the (2) paint coats, but the finish won't be as nice.

NewMariner
06/07/2006, 03:55 PM
My dad has been a paint contractor for 40 years...I worked with him quite a bit unfortunately...

You can spray the inside of the house if you mask off windows, and dont care about floors. It is typically done in new construction when priming as it is faster.

However there are downsides..you will go through more primer/paint. You will have to water it down for the sprayer if not it will clog, and you will have to do several coats to get the same coverage as a roller.

Next thing is you will want a good quality spray rig...forget the wagners they sell at home depot. If you dont want to purchase one then you can rent one.

You will have to keep an eye out for runs, if you get to much paint/primer in one area its easier to clean it up while its wet then when its dry.

crzy4reefs
06/07/2006, 03:59 PM
when we owned our 4 family home we did the spray painting thing which helped alot, but i wouldn't do it indoors

Petie
06/07/2006, 04:42 PM
Spray painting the inside instead of using a roller, sounds good but I bet you'd have a lot more paint in your ears, hair, nose, and on your skin. Not worth the trouble of having to scrub yourself raw for three days straight to get all the paint off of you. :D

fe342185
06/07/2006, 05:27 PM
Seems like the the majority is saying to roll it. So thats what I will do. What change my mind was the finish look that someone mentioned in which I did not consider. Thanks all for the input.

jpfelix
06/07/2006, 05:42 PM
definately a better finish with a roller.

pnosko
06/07/2006, 09:11 PM
Hire a painter. :D I had my entire house interior painted (walls and ceiling) before I moved in too-- 3200sf 4-bedroom. They did it in two days.