PDA

View Full Version : Who wants a puppy???

Minuteman
06/07/2006, 11:48 AM
Well, after I noticed our puppy is getting a little skinny from his... er, "eating habits" shall we say, I called the vet and they gave me some "Forbid" to solve the cophragia problem. While I was on the phone, I heard my daughter screaming and the puppy had nipped her on the cheek and opened a nice little quarter inch gash. He almost didn't survive it...:mad2:

I know he's just a puppy, but he had better learn pretty darn quick! If he hurts my daughter again...........

What'll it be? :hammer: or :uzi:

Stephany
06/07/2006, 11:52 AM
Think your puppy is getting skinny from worms?

I don't think corrophagia would make him skinny by itself...
And, some dogs do it because they're bored. Try using a long lead, and putting other toys on the lawn for him to investigate instead. And you know, make the kid pick up the land mines every day.
How old's the kid? Why do you think the puppy bite her?

crzy4reefs
06/07/2006, 11:53 AM
what did she do to the puppy though to make him bite her,

zack has on 2 occassions......pestered our shih-tzu who's 10 and blind, he never bit him but pretty much barked madly in his face zack as learned not to disturb him.

Orchids
06/07/2006, 12:13 PM
I agree there may be problems, but under no circumstance should any pet be allowed to show aggressive behavoir. I would tread very carefully if I were you.

When my son was born, we had two german shepherd pups that were both 18 months old. They have never once shown agression to him or my other children. My children have taken the dogs food, toys out of their mouths, pulled their ears, among other things. No agression. Don't put up with it.

VoidRaven
06/07/2006, 12:27 PM
Time for training lbrty9....we always torment our dogs since they have been puppies in order to prevent that same thing from happening to local kids or when we eventually have kids. Pulling ears/tails...taking food from their bowl while they are eating...sticking your head next to theirs while they are eating...etc. Always correcting/praising for wrong/right reactions. Chat more with some of our resident dog experts and start implementing some of this quick. You don't want this to go any farther (not that you would and not that you didn't know all this already....I just needed to type something today :D)

pnosko
06/07/2006, 12:44 PM
You should've gotten a cat.

Wilafur
06/07/2006, 01:02 PM
^^ so it can scratch the bejeezus out of them? hehe

crp
06/07/2006, 01:27 PM
Good luck Lbrty. Training dogs is an ongoing thing. I suspect that the puppy was being a puppy, jumping and playing and
maybe didn't realize what it had done. If it was an accident, keep a close eye on it to make sure it doesn't happen again. If it wasn't an accident and you can't retrain it, you may have to get rid of her.

I had a black lab mix when my son was younger. My husband thought it would be a good idea to get me a puppy for my baby shower. :rolleyes: Cute little thing, female. We had her for 18 months when my son must have either fallen on her or jumped on her when she was sleeping. After that every time he walked by the dog, the dog would growl. We ended up getting rid of the dog because we couldn't correct the problem. She was given to a single lady, no kids, on a farm. I heard from the new owner a few times over the years. Dog was wonderful to everyone but would still growl at little boys.

Good luck.

Carrie

Minuteman
06/07/2006, 02:40 PM
It wasn't really agression, she was down on her knees playing with him and he was just excited and jumpoing around and nipping at her hair. She just bent down and got an accident as a result.

She understands (now) that she shouldn't be down that close to his face. She is too young to be picking up the land mines, she's only 3...

Anyway, he's a good dog, but even so, I am not going to tolerate my daughter being hurt... He'd better smarten up.

DizziDezi2
06/07/2006, 03:02 PM
aw poor puppy! He doesnt know any better- but YOU did when you got him. Any time you get a puppy you KNOW that it could bit or nip at little kids.

Nina51
06/07/2006, 03:12 PM
biscuit isn't very old, right? there's plenty of time, if you begin immediately, to nip (no pun intended ;) ) this behavior in the bud. your little girl must be taught that playing rough with a puppy has its consequences.

it's the same thing with horses. you don't play tag with a young colt because they don't know their limites. they play with humans the same way they play with other colts. ROUGH!

so, i'd start immediately, teaching little ms. lbrty that she should play calmly with biscuit, no shouting, no sudden moves (yeah right, i know she's 3) and under no circumstances should biscuit be allowed to "teethe" like every other puppy ever born will do. at least not on your daughter.

it's very tough having a child that young and trying to train a puppy but i cannot imagine that he did this on purpose, he surely had no intention of hurting her. he was just caught up in the moment.

train, train, TRAIN!!!

crp
06/07/2006, 03:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7516256#post7516256 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lbrty9
It wasn't really agression, she was down on her knees playing with him and he was just excited and jumpoing around and nipping at her hair. She just bent down and got an accident as a result.

She understands (now) that she shouldn't be down that close to his face. She is too young to be picking up the land mines, she's only 3...

Anyway, he's a good dog, but even so, I am not going to tolerate my daughter being hurt... He'd better smarten up.

It's a learning experience for both of them. Just keep an eye on both of them when they're playing.

Training kids is harder than dogs! :D

Carrie

crzy4reefs
06/07/2006, 03:19 PM
zack has had countless run ins with our animals, he just has to learn not to play so rough, which he is learning, my cat......got him in the face (nothing bad) cause zack body slammed him and pulled his tail

there's a difference between defense and acual aggression.

just train both child and dog , both are young and will learn

pnosko
06/07/2006, 03:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7516539#post7516539 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crzy4reefs
just train both child and dog , both are young and will learn Ditto!

Minuteman
06/07/2006, 03:59 PM
Yeah, I know they will learn, but I just don't handle my Faith getting hurt very well. Thanks to those of you who understand!

Minuteman
06/07/2006, 04:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7516420#post7516420 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DizziDezi2
aw poor puppy! He doesnt know any better- but YOU did when you got him. Any time you get a puppy you KNOW that it could bit or nip at little kids.

Nobody likes you...:D

crp
06/07/2006, 04:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7516798#post7516798 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lbrty9
Yeah, I know they will learn, but I just don't handle my Faith getting hurt very well. Thanks to those of you who understand!

You better relax Dad! :D I'm sure she was over it much quicker than you. Just wait til the boys come around and break her heart! :lol:

dc
06/07/2006, 05:38 PM
Poor baby, take em both to training classes. Hopefully this can get resolved without any serious problems.

VoidRaven
06/07/2006, 06:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7516819#post7516819 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crp
You better relax Dad! :D I'm sure she was over it much quicker than you. Just wait til the boys come around and break her heart! :lol:

That's when daddy spends all day Saturday cleaning the guns...........

jpfelix
06/07/2006, 06:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7517779#post7517779 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by VoidRaven
That's when daddy spends all day Saturday cleaning the guns...........

the guns will already be clean 'cause the dogs are misbehavin'!

TheBimbo
06/07/2006, 08:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7516798#post7516798 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lbrty9

Aweee, how is she doing??? Is there going to be a scar on that pretty little face :( ... I bet she'll be fine and will try and get right back down there again... I'm sure you'll find a way to let her know what a bad idea that kind of play is... Fun as it may be, she'll just have to find another game to play...

I Bet Biscuit feels awful about it tooo...

Christy...

emilye2
06/07/2006, 10:09 PM
lbrty-have you been listening to Dr. Dunbar? :D You need to get Biscuit all riled up and when he nips you do your very best girly girl impression, yelp like a wounded puppy, and leave the room. The more overly dramatic the better. If you can't leave the pup, look away for the count of three then shove a chew toy in his mouth. I did this so much with Aspen he won't wrestle with me unless he's got a toy in his mouth. Just in case! :D That being said, I misread a bunch of signs with my beagle Hunter and one day he snapped at my oldest (2 at the time) and caught her in the face. He went flying across the room into the wall in about .5 seconds. If you know me at all you know I'm an animal lover to the end, but that was pure Mommy instinct right there. The combination of that reaction and some behavior modification (no getting on the couch when the girls are there) and he will leave the room before he'll lift a lip at them anymore. Moral of the story--sometimes parenting instincts take over pet owner instincts. It's perfectly natural. Just try to keep in mind after the red haze dissapates that he's a dog and not a little person in a fur suit. :D Oh and give Faith a popsicle from me. :D

witfull
06/08/2006, 02:50 AM
puppies use their mouth like hands,,thats how the play. they dont know their teeth hurt. so you need to show them that they do. get doen and play with him get him all happy happy and when he tries to bite on flesh, simply grip him over the nose and curl his lips into his mouth and gently squeeze and say NO firmly. release and continue play. every time he nips do it. worked like a charm on Labs, Samoyeds, and the worse nipper min poodle.

as for future dating,,,i have 2 older teen daughters,,,i have had sitting in view, a watch, a gun, and a shovel,,,,and calmly say i know how to use all of these very well,,,,midnight right?

Minuteman
06/08/2006, 06:01 AM
Thanks for all the encouragement and advice all!!! I'm not sure if it'll scar or not, I guess only time will tell.

We went for DQ in lieu of the popsicle and all was well.

crzy4reefs
06/08/2006, 06:06 AM
there are a few things to put on it so it won't scar and i've heard keeping it from sunlight will help in it not turning into a scar.......

dc
06/08/2006, 07:43 AM
I think the important thing is to make sure her fear of dogs doesn't return. Hopefully she didn't get afraid of him. I know your actions are important also. Easy to say I know.:D

Wolverine
06/11/2006, 12:06 AM

She's only 3. That quarter inch gash will seem like nothing when she starts learning to ride a bike or roller-blading.

I think Emily already gave good advice on the training. And I completely agree with Debi about the fear issue.

Even though bisquit is just a puppy, my advice is always to NEVER leave kids unsupervised with dogs. That's when bad things happen. In 2001 or 2002 there was a child in CA killed by it's family's pomeranian, so you can't assume that just because the dog is small that it can't do a lot of damage.

I would trust our younger dog with my life, and I'm 99.9% confident that he would never hurt a child; but I can't take a chance on that 0.1% if I'm wrong (I've only seen him act aggressive towards a person once, and that was a stranger in our house at 2 in the morning).

Dave

ENGINEERgoby
06/11/2006, 12:23 AM
Vitamin E oil may help prevent scarring. It could be an old wive's tale but when the husband sliced his hand with a kitchen knife (a gash about two inches long, 7 stitches) we put it on every day after the wound closed and there is virtually no scar at all.

Toddlers and puppies don't tend to mix well. It is impossible to keep track of both of them 100% of the time, so use a baby gate or crate train your pup so that they can be separated quickly if you get distracted.

ENGINEERgoby
06/11/2006, 01:46 AM
We have this gate:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12521&N=2001+113498

It's there when you need it and out of the way the rest of the time. Our dog is actually small enough to fit through the door but there are other models without them.

Minuteman
06/11/2006, 10:35 AM
The MIL was out with her "supervising"...

Wolverine
06/11/2006, 04:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7539380#post7539380 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lbrty9
The MIL was out with her "supervising"...

Gotcha. I know a lot of people who wouldn't trust their MIL alone with their kids. ;)

I didn't mean for the other post to sound as accusatory as it looks to me now, so I apologize if it looked that way to you (and if it didn't, then ignore this part of the post); I was just going on with my usual rant about people letting the dogs babysit for them.

Dave

Minuteman
06/11/2006, 04:34 PM
Naw, my MIL and FIL are pretty cool, they help out a lot. It was just an unfortunate accident... She was paying attention, nothing she coulda done to stop it.