PDA

View Full Version : please some one help...

JmLee
06/07/2006, 02:11 AM
ive suffered from anxiety and depression for years and years and years. ( grew up with a really messed up family ). Lately my anxiety has been really bad, When ever i get a attack its like i cant function. i just sit there and blank out or i go to sleep. Also i get frustrated and worried over the most absolutley stupidiest things and my brain wont stop worrying about it regardless of what i do. So along with this anxiety/depression and worrying all the time, i feel like im literally loosing my mind and i get so frustrated ill just some times cry and not know what to do then instantly my brain will switch from this frustration to this anger because i cannot control my thoughts or feelings. Me and my sister have similiar problems and i know its because we both went through alot and my father was never the most understanding or loving person, He was always the "tough love" kinda of person never really told us things like "good job" or "im proud of you" or "i love you" or anything like that but he raised me my brother and my sister all by him self and hes always taken care of us and worked hard to make sure we have a home so i stay away from blaming anything on him. My cousin went through alot as well and she talks to a councler every week and she recommended the same for me some time ago. I really do not want to end up dependent on medication so please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I apologize for sounding like a big baby and complaining to the people at the lounge, but i feel like im so alone and i feel like im sanity is slowly slipping farther and farther away every day. Ive had a great time with all you people on this forum and out of all the other forums im a part of out there, i would easily say you guys are the best.

witfull
06/07/2006, 02:47 AM
go get some help, nothing wrong with it. if meds make you better, take them...no stigma about them in this day and age.

Jerry W
06/07/2006, 05:01 AM
By all means, seek professional help. You can start with an understanding family doctor. A trial dose of medication (there are several very effective ones out there) may give you some much needed relief, and the likelihood of dependence is negligible. Coupled with some counseling, you should begin to see results. Don't suffer with this. You don't need to!

JmLee
06/07/2006, 06:08 AM
Thanks for the replies fellas. Now i feel like a dumb *** for posting this, every one knows my " problems ".

Minuteman
06/07/2006, 06:13 AM
Don't sweat it... Why would you assume that it's automatically going to result in some medication? Go talk to a professional! It sounds to me more like you've got some internalized issues that you don't understand how to cope with. Professionals can help you dig out the issues and porovide coping tools. They are Doctors for a reason, they can help!

mike4271
06/07/2006, 07:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7513651#post7513651 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JmLee
Thanks for the replies fellas. Now i feel like a dumb *** for posting this, every one knows my " problems ".

Don't worry about that in the least, you have just joined a growing number of people that have gotten help and support through this forum, hopefully some of them will chime in on this thread. :)

VoidRaven
06/07/2006, 07:25 AM
I would agree with many folks here...take some time and seek out an understanding professional to speak with and talk through what you talked about in your first post and more. You may find that that is all you need....maybe you might end up on a trial set of meds. My BIL went through a time when he had to seek out some help and ended up on meds. But with continued sessions after a time he was able to go off the meds and hasn't been back on them for over a year now.

The important part is to go talk to a professional.

And, of course, we're here to help support you like we have many others.

dc
06/07/2006, 07:27 AM
You shouldn't feel dumb, many of us have posted personal things about ourselves. Sometimes it helps to get unbiased opinions. And the goofy ones that come along with it are good for a laugh. I would start with some kind of counseling to get it out. Maybe there's a support group, seems to be one for everything.

JmLee
06/07/2006, 08:31 AM
You guys rock! i think i will talk to my cousin and try to start some counseling. Ya know honestly you guys made my day much better. Thanks again every one.

Jamie2337
06/07/2006, 08:51 AM
Hey! It takes a lot of courage to post something like that. I think it is awesome. I agree with everyone else. The first step is to get help. Talk to your doctor and go from there.

You may not need medication. Only a doctor can decide that, but if you do it is no big deal. Many poeple take depression or anxiety medication. They are only 1 of many ways to help. You have taken the first step...asking for help. Counseling is a great thing. I know I have done my share and still need a lot more! LOL!

We are with you. My the end of today I want to hear that you have made an appointment with your doctor, OK?

Orchids
06/07/2006, 09:34 AM
We all have problems and issues to deal with in today's world. As stated above, go seek out help from people who know how to help you. Don't expect all of your problems to go away immediately. Both mental and physical illnesses take time to heal.

witfull
06/07/2006, 09:46 AM
dude,,go do it,,,

ive been through worse than many people here have,,,,from my parents,,,life in gov service, to law enforcement,,,yeah,,i have had couch time,,,it works.

first step is talking,,,once started healing begins. if you need a lil pill to balnce your levels,,,then by god you need it and life will be better. in my first response to you, i didnt want to push to hard, for fear you would not respond, but you are here and thats very good. you want to make a change and now that the fear of social repercussions are gone in some semblance,,,you are ready to take the next step. you have friends here,,,,people that are proven to listen to you,,,,be strong, keep the faith brother~

Petie
06/07/2006, 10:27 AM
Nothing wrong with asking for some help. Talk to your cousin and get a refferal to a doctor to talk to and see where that takes you. Good luck and be strong :)

Sk8r
06/07/2006, 11:06 AM
The brain is so much chemistry, and when stress sets that chemistry 'off', and a little pill for a while can set the chemistry back to rights, so that you can turn loose of thoughts and not let them cycle round and round in the dark---then the brain can start curing itself by setting things in perspective and taking the charge out of things from the past. Not every pill works for every person, but when you find the one that keys into your personal chemistry, and that looped thinking unkinks, unclenches, and stops dragging you back through bad experiences, you start looking forward to life. The deceptive thing about brain chemistry gone awry is that it often does work off real things with a bad emotional charge, and therefore people think it can't be fixed. But the right little pill can break the loop, just shut it down, and let thinking proceed in a straight, unkinked line, until the strong charge leaves the situation and leaves it cooler, and cooler, until you've got a perspective on the past, and you can say: that was then. That's not my world now.
Like medications, like doctors: try until you find one that's sensible and on your wavelength. There's a simple written q&a for depression, and they can give you things to try. Some may take a couple of weeks to have effect, and you should be in close contact with your doctor until you're sure you've got the right thing. When it works, it's a whole new world.
HTH.

oz
06/07/2006, 11:33 AM
I carpool with 2 people, one had depression problem and the other anxiety problem.

The one with depression had therapy and medication but after 2 years of trying all different combinations of drugs known to mankind, she decided to give up the drugs because of all the side affects. She figured the depression was better than the side affects of the drugs treating the depression. Anyway, I was very worried for her. 1st 3 months off the meds were bad but a miracle happened, she's depression free now. I think what helped her was Tai Chi and Yoga, meditation and breathing exercise.

Now the other one had anxiety attacks problem from time to time at crowded places, etc and also when driving. After 2 years of medication (but no therapy) which (the meds) did help her she has also decided to try stopping the meds. She's now off the meds and under control. She's also doing Tai Chi and Yoga, meditation and breathing exercise.

Anyway, just wanted to share this with you also. There is hope.

cheers.

gaels
06/07/2006, 11:52 AM
i bet that over half the people who post on this board are on some sort of medication or another for depression, anxiety, or some other form of mental illness. i also have trouble sleeping, same as you, my mind wont shut up and i have worries (usually overexaggerated in my mind). i take ativan to help me chill.

i've been to therapists a couple times in my life when things got to be too much, and i'm a mental health professional myself! one of the best things i learned in therapy was when my mind is playing the same loops over and over (for instance i was freaked because my boyfriend broke up with me), the therapist had me wear a rubber band on my wrist, and everytime i started thinking about him, i'd snap the rubber band hard on the underside of my wrist, and think of something else. after a short while it worked and i was able to quit obsessing about him and deal with it normally. i swear to you it worked. it changes the channel in your head, like a remote for the tv.

writing stuff down is very helpful for a lot of people, so you may want to start a journal

but if you're really feeling like this is impacting your life, and it sounds like it is, then see someone. also, there are plenty of 800#'s where you can talk to someone on the phone. most psychiatric hospitals offer free assessments and referrals. you sit with the staff person for about 30 minutes and talk about whats going on and they give you a list of local professionals who can help you. or, if you have health insurance, call them and see what they say to do. you'd want to make sure you see someone in your network so the insurance pays for it.

i hope that helps, and by all means, post here and you'll continue to get support from your fellow loungers

gael

Stephany
06/07/2006, 12:23 PM
I feel like I'd be distracting from what everyone else has said, by adding another post... because a lot of people had such nicely explained posts. And I have attention deficit. No. seriously. lol

But I know that if you've had anxiety/depression for a long time, and since your childhood... then it's probably not situational. Anxiety medicine I believe works better short term. I also know that I've read that cognitive therapy shows better results long term.

Don't get discouraged if the few first doctors you try don't end up connecting with you.
There is also a great message support board at depressionfallout.com, I haven't read the book yet. It's at my apartment, and... my senile grandmother stole my keys and took them home with her on Saturday.
It will get better. :)

joeychitwood
06/07/2006, 12:30 PM
Another vote for counseling and perhaps a short term course of an anti-depressant/anti-anxiety med. Many of the newest drugs do both. They can really provide a bridge until the cognitive behavioral therapy can work for the long term. After 6-12 month, you can wean off them.

You are suffering unnecessarily. And thanks for posting too.

cwegescheide
06/07/2006, 12:37 PM
So you have/had a whacked out family too huh?! ;) Wow I thought I was the only one :) Just teasin ya.

You know, I went to see therapists and stuff like that when I was younger and they helped. Got me on a pill but to be honest that really didn't do much for me. So I had a seriously whacked out dad and I just couldn't stand being around him when he got home so I just started biking a lot. Well by accident I discovered my cure for my anxiety. Exercise releases the same chemicals in the brain that a lot of antidepressants do. Endorphans.. Do you exercise? I know I am in a MUCH better mood after a good workout and I stay more even keel as well as sleep a lot better. But DEFINATLEY go see a doctor!!!

Good luck!
Chris

JmLee
06/07/2006, 04:33 PM
lol wow see i know you guys where great!, really though, i feel like i got some good friends on this board, cwegescheide its funny you say that, i am literally fixing my bike today because its my day off, me and my friends are gona go do some riding. Any ways thanks again for the encourgement you guys. I guess it took people that where outside of my horrible bubble to make me realise i dont have to suffer. Thanks again guys, you may have just changed my life !

jpfelix
06/07/2006, 06:24 PM
if you post in the lounge it's assumed you have mental issues! http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/crazy/1087.gifhttp://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/crazy/114.gif

i'd certainly suggest therapy, maybe some short term meds. not that i'm a doctor or anything.:p