PDA

View Full Version : flying kites?

avshockey311
06/06/2006, 10:46 PM
Anyone here fly kites? I have been looking into getting a parafoil kite to fly but know really nothing about them. I think it looks like a ball. So if anyone is in to flying kites I would sure like some more info.

finding nemo
06/07/2006, 06:38 AM
I don't fly them but I do tell others to go and do it, does that count;)

VoidRaven
06/07/2006, 06:56 AM
Actually, I just bought my first kite in like 20 years last year at Myrtle Beach. I remember having a simple kite when I was about 8 years old, and last year I thought it would be fun to have another one to fly so I bought my first stunt kite. A whole lot of fun but a whole lot of learning too.

Lesson #1: Do NOT make first learning flights in a crowded or semi-crowded area!

TheBimbo
06/07/2006, 07:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7513755#post7513755 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by VoidRaven
Actually, I just bought my first kite in like 20 years last year at Myrtle Beach. I remember having a simple kite when I was about 8 years old, and last year I thought it would be fun to have another one to fly so I bought my first stunt kite. A whole lot of fun but a whole lot of learning too.

Lesson #1: Do NOT make first learning flights in a crowded or semi-crowded area!

Okay, now there's a story behind this one, sooo spill it... :)

Did it have anything to do with Hawaii, Brian, The RC Thong, and a big hairy guy wearing whitie tighties???

Christy...:rollface:

VoidRaven
06/07/2006, 07:19 AM
No, no story really. Last year my friend was teaching me how to fly it. We went out to the beach by the condo in Myrtle Beach to fly it. Probably was around 7pm or so. Moderate amount of folks wandering the beach...several flying kites. We had about 2 in the air and then he started to teach me how to fly the stunt kite. I only had about 30 feet of line out just to get the feel of it. Well, it can be pretty tricky learning how to operate a line in each hand...slack off on one and the kite bolts one way and vice-versa. I think I scared a few folks with a couple low buzzes about 10 feet or so off the sand while trying to get the hang of it. Definitely got some looks.

It was fun though! I need a bunch more practice still...haven't flown it since last year. I'll be taking it with us this year. Who knows...maybe I'll buy another one.

TheBimbo
06/07/2006, 08:13 AM
:lol: you could have atleast made something up!!! ;)

Christy...

pnosko
06/07/2006, 10:11 AM
Hey, go fly a kite!

TheBimbo
06/07/2006, 10:14 AM
We can now say Let's go fly kites along with Let's go ride bikes :) ...

Christy...:rollface:

Fat Man
06/07/2006, 10:32 AM
Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height
Let's go fly a kite
And send it soaring
Up through the atmosphere
Up where the air is clear
Oh, let's go fly a kite
Let's go fly a kite!

Stephany
06/07/2006, 12:06 PM
Flying a kite is something I actually did at 17 when I got real sad. For $3.88 at walmart, It was a nice healthy distraction.

My ex just recently told me that overseas they used to have a large kite flying competition... and it got so competitive that people were dipping their kite lines in ground glass, so that they would cut the other kites lines. Supposedly people were getting killed, and a boy that was riding his bike not even in the competition had his neck cut so badly... he bled to death before anyone could help him.
No more competition for them.

55Reef
06/07/2006, 12:24 PM
I recently bought a Prizm stunt kite.
Lot's of fun to fly.

http://www.intothewind.com/shop/Stunt_Kites/All_Around_Kites/Prism_Hypnotist

hogpark7430
06/07/2006, 04:47 PM
My brother ,dad, and myself, fly 8' stunt kites. they are a blast to fly. We can do a lot with them: stunts, formations, dog fights,etc..
good clean fun.

Petie
06/07/2006, 04:53 PM
When did kites become so complicated. I used to get a wal-mart special $1.99 kite every Easter. I would bomb one of those real quick I bet.

hogpark7430
06/07/2006, 04:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7517191#post7517191 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Petie
When did kites become so complicated. I used to get a wal-mart special $1.99 kite every Easter. I would bomb one of those real quick I bet.

Cheep and boring;)

55Reef
06/07/2006, 05:21 PM
I got a DVD with the Kite I bought. It shows Mark Reed(The owner of Prizm Kites) Stunt flying. It's unreal the crazy tricks they can do with a Kite.

VoidRaven
06/07/2006, 06:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7515333#post7515333 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 55Reef
I recently bought a Prizm stunt kite.
Lot's of fun to fly.

http://www.intothewind.com/shop/Stunt_Kites/All_Around_Kites/Prism_Hypnotist

How cool! This one is the one I have that I bought last year:

http://www.intothewind.com/shop/Stunt_Kites/Beginner/Firecracker

http://www.intothewind.com/images/sku_lg/7457-COOL.jpg

avshockey311
06/07/2006, 06:34 PM
This is what I am looking at getting. I like them because thre are no parts to really break not if but when I crash it.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/avshockey311/SK215-56-THUNDERFOIL-REDBLAK.jpg

sinkingbeach
06/07/2006, 06:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7517898#post7517898 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by avshockey311
This is what I am looking at getting. I like them because thre are no parts to really break not if but when I crash it.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/avshockey311/SK215-56-THUNDERFOIL-REDBLAK.jpg

Some of my friends are using these with thier surfboards, looks like loads of fun!!! :cool:

VoidRaven
06/07/2006, 07:49 PM
Every year that we've gone to Myrtle Beach there has been at least one person using that kind of kite and a surf/knee board of some kind to kite-surf. It's really cool to watch!

Jeffrey Porter
06/08/2006, 03:15 PM
kite boarding is getting popular here. its amazing to see the sheer stupidity of these people on the front page of the news paper going out right before a hurricane. every year on good friday there is a gathering at a beach here where almost everyone fries a kite. you spend more time watching your head and feet than looking at the damn kites. almost had my head taken off one year after good friday. kite string going across the road. was on my scooter.

bsaastad
06/08/2006, 03:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7515205#post7515205 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Stephany
My ex just recently told me that overseas they used to have a large kite flying competition... and it got so competitive that people were dipping their kite lines in ground glass, so that they would cut the other kites lines. Supposedly people were getting killed, and a boy that was riding his bike not even in the competition had his neck cut so badly... he bled to death before anyone could help him.
No more competition for them.

Which reminds me ...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=724444&highlight=kite+runner (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=724444&highlight=kite+runner)

Stephany
06/08/2006, 04:25 PM
Thanks, um... yea I want to call you a girl name.

Anyway, I want to learn how paragliding, but it's expensive to learn. And I wouldn't ever buy one without getting trained... I'm sure I'd end up tangled in some electrical wires or something.

bsaastad
06/08/2006, 05:57 PM
I suppose I should change my avatar -- too many people think the picture is me when I'm actually just smitten with Jan Smithers :):)

bsaastad
06/08/2006, 06:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7524007#post7524007 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Stephany
I'm sure I'd end up tangled in some electrical wires or something.

Shocked, I tell ya ... Shocked!!!

I always wanted to say that ... :rollface:

d4a2n0k
06/08/2006, 07:00 PM
Back in the '80s I had a few of the Peter Powell brand kites. He was based in Ft. Lauderdale and had a nice little catalog to order from and was the father of the modern stunt kites. He was the originator of those stacked, up to 8, diamond kites with the long streamer tails and would look awesome with 8 tails all streaming together. Unfortunately, I dont think hes still in the business. I couldnt find a website that sold them with a quick google search, only websites by people mentioning those days.

http://www.carolthompson.com/kites/peter-powell-stunt-kites/pet.JPG

I had a great time with them as a kid flying them at Jones Beach on Long Island. The more expensive ones had Kevlar string so you could fly 3 or so people next to each other and dog fight. The Kevlar allowed you to get all the lines crossed with no worries of fraying or snapping the lines. I also had an 8 foot delta kite that I remember would drag me through the sand while ripping my arms out the sockets. :rollface:

Its a nice little hobby to start but they can get expensive if you get the bug.

bsaastad
06/08/2006, 10:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7524921#post7524921 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by d4a2n0k
Its a nice little hobby to start but they can get expensive if you get the bug.

Yeah, I'd stick with the cheap hobbies ... like reef-keeping :eek1: :D

Red_Six
06/09/2006, 02:19 AM
I don't fly kites but how about flying kittens?

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j136/dameyerfam/hippoeat6ga.gif

raddogz
06/09/2006, 09:47 PM
Ummm... getting back to the original post ...

Parafoils are nice kites to fly, they can pull hard in really fast winds. I made my first diy kite some twenty years ago with shopping bag material.

Stunt kites have really really come down in price and I'm sure the technology has gotten much better over the years.

They are a blast to fly.

fussoverthis
06/13/2006, 03:12 PM
You guys started this post right before I went on vacation to the beach, so I got to thinking how much fun it would be to get a kite to fly. Strangely enough, I mentioned it to my neighbor who has an Obsession stunt kite. She let me borrow it. I had never flown one before. We're still on the beach and have had a heck of a time trying to find a kite shop. Every one we find is out of business. It's pretty sad. What fun we've had. I keep crashing her kite, though. She told me I would, though.

I tell you what, if any of you guys know of a kite shop, or even a shop that has a decent selection off the coast of Alabama or near Pensacola, please post. I'd love to visit some places while we're here. I'll be here until Saturday. I'd really appreciate it. This has been so much fun - I can't believe it isn't more popular.

Melissa

NewMariner
06/13/2006, 04:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7523512#post7523512 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jeffrey Porter
every year on good friday there is a gathering at a beach here where almost everyone fries a kite.

Fries a Kite? What purpose does that serve why would anyone want to fry a kite? Are they good eating?

TheBimbo
06/13/2006, 07:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7554035#post7554035 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NewMariner
Fries a Kite? What purpose does that serve why would anyone want to fry a kite? Are they good eating?

I bet it would depend on the types of dipping sauces ...

Christy...:)

NewMariner
06/14/2006, 09:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7555396#post7555396 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TheBimbo
I bet it would depend on the types of dipping sauces ...

Christy...:)

MMM Bar B Que Sauce.............