PDA

View Full Version : Serial Killer in my Tank

John O
05/11/2002, 05:50 PM
In the past week, I've lost 3 ocellaris clownfish and one Green Chromis in my 55 gallon reef tank. I lost a clown and a Chromis, the same day. One second they were swimming around the next dead at the bottom of the tank. No signs of ick or any other visible infections. I suspected that one of the fish was bullying and stressing the smaller fish to death. (clue: one of the fins of my living Chromis had been ripped cleanly off) My inhabitants are as follows:

1 Yellow Damsel
1 Flame Hawkfish
1 Six-line Wrasse
1 clown (had 4)
3 Green Chromis (had 4)

I was certain that it was the Yellow Damsel until the death of the 3rd clown. The clown was swimming normally and then out of nowhere the Six line Wrasse visciously attacked it. The attack was so violent that the clownfish dropped to the bottom dead. I've had six lines in the past but never experienced such aggression towards smaller fish or clowns. Have you guys ever experienced such a agression out of a six line??....Did Ted Bundy re-incarnate in the form of my six line wrasse??.:confused:

Bender
05/12/2002, 10:29 AM
Back when I was first starting out I had a sixline and he was the meanest fish in my tank by far. He would attack new additions with a vengence. Maybe it is just hit or miss as a lot of people keep them in their tanks. I will never buy one again as they are impossible to remove without totally tearing the tank apart.

Bender

John O
05/14/2002, 11:52 AM
The funny part is that my Six line has never acted this way towards any other fish. So far, he has spared the lives of my remaining chromis and clownfish. Do they have Prozac for fish??.:rolleyes:

goodman770
05/14/2002, 01:06 PM
I just bought a six line on Sunday, he disappeared by Monday never to be seen again. I think I have a blue headed wrasse that is too agresive. I have a flatworm "challange" that I'm trying to get rid of. Does anyone know of anything else that eats them?

newbie1
05/14/2002, 01:16 PM
hmm,
when I had a sixline, it left everyone alone and minded his own
business. How big was he, when you bought it, mine
was small when I got it.

goodman770
05/14/2002, 01:29 PM
It was pretty small, under an inch. I have a fairly peaceful tank, (read no damsels), but they like to chase anything under a couple inches around. I put in some mullet I caught in the wild...3 of them that were fast and about an inch and all of them were gone by morning. Ugh.

Agu
05/14/2002, 02:34 PM
Eleven fish in a fiftyfive, even though they're small, can cause territorial problems imo. Now that the wrasse knows it can kill off the competition I'd suggest you remove it.

Agu

John O
05/20/2002, 09:19 AM
All 4 false clowns met their maker, and all 4 died mysterious deaths and I still suspected the six line. I bought a medium sized gold stripe Maroon Clown. Sure enough, the six line was on it like white on rice. The difference is that the Maroon is larger than the Ocellaris were, and after the inital displays of agression, the six line seemed to lay of the Maroon. I figured that the Maroon could hold its own, since they are typically more agressive than Ocellaris/Perculas and larger (this one is). Time will tell if the Maroon can hold its ground. If the Maroon doesn't make it, I will be forced to put larger fish in the tank that the six line won't mess with. Needless to say, getting the six line out is not an option without tearing apart my entire reef.:(