PDA

View Full Version : Question on new coralife super skimmer 125-please help!

Marinemom
06/06/2006, 12:43 AM
:rolleye1:O.K. Here I go again with another problem with another skimmer. About one and a half weeks ago I replaced my seaclone 1oo with a coralife super skimmer 125 for my 60 gallon reef. There was a break in period for about 72 hours and then the skimmer started to produce some skimmate in the collection cup. This tank has a very low bio-load in it. A green chromis that was just added after being quarentined along with a few snails and hermit crabs. There are also some soft corals and a few stoneys like frogspawn, hammer coral and a doughnut coral and an open brain coral. Also there is a sea bae anemone in the tank that has been there for awhile. Everything was fine with the skimmer until tonight right after I fed the fish some frozen formula one. After that the skimmer decided to fill with water and not form any bubbles. I decreased the water level in the skimmer and have attempted to raise it slowly over the next two hours but suddenly it stops worki ng and fills with water again. I did clean the collection cup out tonight with some warm water and I also rinsed the filer sponges in the difusser box tonight as the instructions say to do this weekly. This is the first time I rinsed the filter sponges in the difusser box since I set this skimmer up one and a half weeks ago. Right now the skimmer is plugged in but nothing is happening. I don't know what I am doing wrong. How do I get this skimmer to start working again for me? I'm thinking of taking apart the collection cup part again and see if anything is clogging it. Other than that I don't know what to do. Please help! I really like this skimmer but I have just about had it with skimmer problems.

Any help or suggestions in trying to resolve this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Marinemom

kraze3
06/06/2006, 12:47 AM
You say its plugged in but not doing anything. You mean absolutely nothing or producing no foam?

Marinemom
06/06/2006, 12:59 AM
Nothing. I just cleaned out the collection cup again and there was nothing in it to clog it. I also just wiped off the powerhead intake because it had some gunk on it. I plugged it back in and adjusted the water level to very low. Now I see some white foam but at this rate it won't produce much of anything and may fill up with water like it did before. I really do not want to stay up all night and babysit this thing. I have to get up at seven o'clock and it is getting late. It seems these things always happen in the middle of the night. Why is that?

Marinemom

Talfish
06/06/2006, 01:20 AM
Mine did that earlier today too... cleaned the sponge, ect. and it's working fine now. Is yours producing micro-bubbles from the difuser box? That's always a good indication to clean the sponge and pad...

"these things" Always happen at this time of night, lol :rolleyes: Murphy

Marinemom
06/06/2006, 01:35 AM
I cleaned the sponge in the difusser box for the first time today. It has only been set up for about 10 days. I have been watching it for about 30 minutes and so far it seems that maybe the temper tantrum it was having is over with for now. I just don't want it to happen again. And yes it does seem that these things always happen when there is the least amount of time to deal with it. Murphy's law.

Marinemom

slowECUdiver
06/06/2006, 12:40 PM
"Everything was fine with the skimmer until tonight right after I fed the fish some frozen formula one. After that the skimmer decided to fill with water and not form any bubbles."

there is your problem. the formula one. i personally dont' feed that but everytime i hear of someone with CSS problems, it is usually the food that is the culprit for the tantrums. try shutting it off before you feed and then wait like half hour after feeding before turning it back on. hope this helps a little.

nemo1
06/06/2006, 02:18 PM
I had similar problems with mine, what I realized is that there was water in the air intake line, so I just blew some air into the silencer and it started working again. Not sure if it will work for you, but it's worth a shot.

:rolleyes:

jmack
06/06/2006, 02:37 PM
Did your tank water level drop? I've had that problem when i forgot to top off. It must have something to do with the level of the pump. Hope this helps, if not..you might want to call the tech support number in the manual.