PDA

View Full Version : Changing from FOWLR TO REEF - Have Questions!

ronhjr
06/05/2006, 05:16 PM
Im changing my 180 FOWLR to a reef tank. My current fish are all reef safe. For lighting I just changed over to 8x39w T-5's. I current have a 40 gallon sump which houses my ETSS 600 SKIMMER. I also have a 1/3HP JBJ chiller set at 79F, and a Coralife
TurboTwist 36W UV, and 3 Phosban reactor - 1 is running- Phosban, One is running de-nitrate and 1 is running Hydro-carbon. On the back of my aquarium I also have a Lighted hang on refuge w/ reefmud and growing macroalgea for my 2 Tangs that are in the aquarium.
AS for Salt- I am using TropicMarin.
For chemicals, I dose the tank w/ Kent Marine- Essential Elements,
and do top offs W/ Ro-Di water w/ KNOP's Kalkwasser. I also use Kent Iodine and Tech-I

My questions is, Since I plan on keeping Mushrooms,Zoo's and
soft corals only, ( maybe a Clam ) what other chemicals should I use.? And W/ Running HydoCarbon all the time, will this pull out all the chemicals I am currently using and future chems. Is it
ok to run the hydrocarbon 24/7?

Thanks to all.

law086
06/05/2006, 05:51 PM
Honestly, if I was just planning house the type of coral you mentioned, I wouldn't add anything except perhaps a good two part calicum / alk additive like B-Ionic (and keep your kalk reactor). Naturally, you'll want to keep up with monthly water changes.

I run carbon and phosban 24/7, as well as a 40w UV unit. I keep soft and hard corals in my 180.

Keeping the corals you're looking to keep should not be hard.

Ron

nanoreef16g
06/05/2006, 05:56 PM
I'm not sure that's enough light. Definetly not enough for a clam. I have 130 watts of PC on a 16 gallon tank and all I have are zoa's and shrooms. Just my opinion.

clord
06/05/2006, 06:33 PM
There is one type of clam that can live under lower light but I foget what kind but he only has 1.7 watts per gallon which i wouldn't think would be good enough anyway.

Also you can run carbon 2/7 if you like I only run mine 2 days a month but it all up to you. Like law said you only need to probably dose with calcium and alk also buy the salifert test kits for these 2 test since it much easier then most I have seen.

dppitone
06/05/2006, 07:52 PM
I'm not sure how T5's compare to VHO and MH wattage, so after someone answers that question, you can supplement lighting. I keep very large soft corals in a 150g, and I've found that the more light the better for them. I'm at three 400w MHs on that tank, and they are really thriving, reaching to the light.

Jay4Robin
06/05/2006, 08:02 PM
I would do weekly water changes not monthly.