PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer

oceanhighz
05/11/2002, 11:57 AM
I have a protein skimmer in my 30 gallon tank, and I want one in my ten gallon, but I can't find one small enough for it. I was going to make my own, but I need directions,if anyone could give me directions or a place to buy one for a tank that small, it would be greatly appreciated.

clamz
05/11/2002, 01:01 PM
i believe lee's makes one small enough for a ten gallon

pscheel
05/11/2002, 02:35 PM
I could be wrong on this, but I believe a Prism will fit a 10.

purpletanglvr
05/11/2002, 07:46 PM
a prizm will fit and so will a bakpak.....i have a bakpak 2r on mine...either one will fit and either one should do a fantastic job. you can get a prizm on ebay in the $70-80 dollar range or use one of the many online companies.....the bakpak will cost a bit more.....i love mine, i have the heater in it so it doesnt disrupt view in the tank and gives me more room for stuff....

Ananda
05/11/2002, 10:14 PM
I have a DIY soda-bottle skimmer in my 10g. If I'd made it from clear soda bottles, you wouldn't even notice it hidden behind the live rock.

oceanhighz
05/12/2002, 12:07 AM
thanks guys for your help. do you think you could give me somewhere that I could find to make that soda- bottle skimmer. I wanna do something, I haven't been able to find a "lee's" small enough. Those other two are outta the question for right now, I am gonna get one of them eventually. thanks

Ananda
05/12/2002, 12:16 AM
I found a scan of this on the web somewhere...
Original text by Dan McCue; this text written by me, since it's my adaptation of his skimmer for my nano.

Basic description of how to make it:
* indicates the tricky bit and the key to the whole thing...

The collection cup:
1) Cut the bottom off of a 20oz soda bottle.
2) Cut the top portion off just above the label.
3) Invert the top portion into the bottom portion; silicone together.
4) Drill as large a hole as possible into the cap.
*5) With the threads pointing down and the soda bottle top pointing up, silicone the cap into place immediately beneath the neck of the soda bottle top. The hole in the cap should be directly beneath the mouth of the soda bottle. Hint: you will be able to screw the collection cup onto another soda bottle.

The bubble chamber:
1) Cut several holes in the bottom of the second soda bottle (at least one must be big enough for the airstone to fit through it).
2) Silicone one or two suction cups to the side of the soda bottle.

The rest:
1) Screw the collection cup cap onto the second soda bottle.
2) Use a limewood airstone, connected to your air pump via tubing, and thread it into the bubble chamber.
3) Turn on/plug in the air pump.
4) Put the skimmer into your tank, using the suction cups to keep it in place.

purpletanglvr
05/12/2002, 04:16 PM
hey if money is the problem i can totally understand that...i just checked ebay and there is a nice looking used one with a reputable seller selling it and the high bid is only 40.00.....fyi

purpletanglvr
05/12/2002, 04:25 PM
hey if money is the problem i can totally understand that...i just checked ebay and there is a nice looking used one with a reputable seller selling it and the high bid is only 40.00.....fyi

oceanhighz
05/12/2002, 09:29 PM
yeha, I've been watching ebay, I am trying to decide whether I want to bid, and what, on. I saw a sea clone for 10 dollars and that was a max ibd, nothing wrong with it. I dunno though, thanks.

chess_wizard
05/13/2002, 12:14 AM
why even bother bother skimmer...? it seems more efficant to do more water changes then bother with a skimmer.

chess_wizard
05/13/2002, 12:16 AM
correcting typo on previous post, why even bother with a skimmer

oceanhighz
05/13/2002, 08:58 PM
I do as many water changes as possible, but I am in high school, and only have so much time. Therefore, I want to get something for when I can't. Plus..... with water changes, there is still "stuff" in the water that isn't removed, just dilluted. The skimmer removes most of that stuff.

oceanhighz
05/13/2002, 09:02 PM
thanks everybody for all your comments and input, it all made me think about my options.

chess_wizard
05/13/2002, 10:02 PM
i'm a freshman in high school, currently in IB program, i feel your time restraints. but what i do with my 5g tanks is i get 5-10g of premixed salt water and that lasts 1 to 2 months before i have to get more saltwater. I do the same with make up water. 245 days till i can get my drivers licens and counting down every second.

chess_wizard
05/13/2002, 10:10 PM
oh, to assist the money problem with high schoolers reefs, by becomming a member of a local reef club, people are willing to give away free coral fragments all the time and in a nano, a small fragment will quickly grow into a large colony porportional to the size of the tank. the last meeting i was at, the person hoasting it gave away free xenia to whom ever wanted some fragments. he gave me 8 small fragments, and a week lator 6 of them have grown into nice medium to large size colonies porportional to the size of the tank. one can entierly stock a nano reef on fragment one is given from friends or club memebers.