PDA

View Full Version : Clean-up crew....Help please!!

groovemcfly
06/04/2006, 11:12 PM
Hello all,

I'm trying to figure out which inverts I will need in my 24gal.

Here is what I've come up with so far:

Red Scarlet Reef Crab - How many?
Skunk Cleaner Shrimp - 1
Nassarius Snail - How many?
Trochus Snails - How many?
Anything else I'm missing?

Does this sound fine? Can I add the whole clean-cup crew at once?

Please post what clean-up crew you have in your 24gal.

Thanks all

Cheers

Kennyboy1984
06/05/2006, 12:30 AM
Yah, chuck em in all at once! Has your tank been cycling? Any algae yet?

maxcab
06/09/2006, 09:47 AM
I'd wait to put the shrimp in until your tank has cycled with the snails and crabs, thats what I did.
I have:
5-6 blue legs, but I'd get reef crabs like your planning to get
4 astraea snails
2 big turbo snails
and 1 scarlet cleaner shrimp

What are your parameters?

theop
06/09/2006, 11:39 AM
The hermits aren't neccessary. The scarlets are the least aggressive, but all hermits can kill snails for their shells or just for fun. Blue-legged seem to be the worst.

Nassariuss snails are good since they stir the sand and are detrivores. I'd put 6-8 in a tank your size.

I've never had a trochus snail, but that should be fine. If you don't have delicately stacked rocks, I'd recommend 1-2 turbo snails for their algae eating capacity. I really like astrea snails and especially cerith snails.

Stay away from margarita and bumblebee snails.

Texsun
06/09/2006, 01:00 PM
There are so many variables including age of your tank, feeding amounts, bioload, etc... that determine the clean-up crew. Generally speaking, I would go slow and only add as many as you need. Starting out, I'd try 5 or so trochus, astrea, or nerite snails. Astrea are my least favorite as they tend to fall over easily and like most snails can't get up without some assistance.

Nassariuss are good scavengers but they, despite common perception, aren't the best sand stirrers or detrivores. For that job, I'd go for a few cerith snails. that like to burrow into the sand

Hermits aren't mandatory as they will occasionally kill a snail for their shell. However, if you plan on doing a decent amount of feeding, you definitely need some kind of scavenger.

Shekki
06/09/2006, 08:22 PM
Hey Groove,

In my 24g I have 6 hermits, 1 emerald crab, 1 fire shrimp, 6 astreas, 3 turbos, and a cool green brittle star. They do a fine job.

Robb