PDA

View Full Version : DIY mazzei recirc skimmer

andycook
06/04/2006, 10:09 PM
I'm currently between name brand skimmers. My plan is to throw together a skimmer from a bunch of parts I have. I've got a 34" skimmer body, a mazzei 684 venturi (3/4"), and a bunch of pumps.

One problem is there is little information here on RC on appropriate pumps for the different size mazzeis. There are about 17 different mazzei flow and thread size combinations. I found a website that said to tell them the pump you have and they will suggest the appropriate mazzei for the application. I already have the mazzei so that is no help to me. Mazzei aren't cheap - they run $30+ to over $100 each. (I got mine on ebay years ago).

One or two threads list the 384, 484, and 584 mazzeis working well with mag 5s through mag 9.5. I find that hard to believe after I hooked up a mag 12 for a test run. Unless I am brainwashed by beckett foaminess I think a bigger pump is needed. A mag 18 worked well - nice and bubbly but I was hoping to use less electricity especially because I'm adding a feed pump.

I did finally find a thread that says a mazzei 684 needs about 900 gph. Another thread claims a pressure rated pump is needed.

Oh yes, remove the seal and checkvalve marble from the air intake. You don't need that unless you set up your mazzei low enough that water might back siphon if power is cut. I'll have to retest the mag 12 without the checkvalve marble in place.

Lifereef skimmers use mazzei injectors so I looked up which pump lifereef sells for their 36" skimmers. They sell the little giant 4MDQX-SC with the 36" skimmer which is a low-medium head circulation pump.

At this point I have to retest the mag 12 with out the checkvalve on the venturi. That slows the air intake but doesn't seem to influence bubble size at all.

smorrow5773
06/05/2006, 07:11 AM
I am running 850 gph through my small Beckett (same size as your Mazzei) and the foam is good. My larger Beckett is getting around 1800 gph and only skims after feeding, it has strippped the water of nutrients IMO. I would think if the Mazzei is the one doing the recirculation and fed off overflow or small pump, then a smaller pump would be fine.

andycook
06/06/2006, 09:57 AM
I retested the mag 12 and mag 18 without the checkvalve on the mazzei. Both filled the chamber (34"x6") about 1/2 of the way up. The mag 18 only filled the skimmer slightly higher than the mag 18 run. The only difference is the foamy-ness. The mag 18 run had more bubbles. The difference is noticeable but not huge. Seems to me the mazzei 684 is limited to 900 gph and the bigger flow pump has enough extra oomph to generate more bubbles. I have one more pump to try and can also start trying different water feed pumps.