PDA

View Full Version : Flame Wrasse in a 29g?

chadp
06/04/2006, 10:01 PM
I currently have an established 29g reef tank. Only current fish is a royal gramma. I have seen on sites that the flame wrasse needs anywhere from 20-50 gallons.

I would like to find a pair of fairy or flasher wrasses that would fit in my tank and be ok with the gramma. Twilight Aquatics (http://www.twilightaquatics.net/Gallery.html) has pairs for sale and lists required tank size as 20+gallons.

Also for anyone with experience with wrasses, is eggcrate sufficient to cover lid assuming it is well fit with no openings?

Thanks,
chadp

pecaco34
06/05/2006, 03:12 AM
I honestly wouldn't put a flame in 29. They can grow to a pretty decent size and fairy wrasses love to swim. I have mine in a 65 right now while my 150 is cycling and even that seems kind of cramped. You might be able to go with a smaller spieces of fairy like the lubbocki or flavidorsalis.

chadp
06/05/2006, 07:00 AM
That's what I was afraid of. I am assuming when you mention the lubbocki and flavidorsalis that would be for 1 or would a pair be possible. I only ask after reading various threads here on wrasses that males tend to lose coloration without females.

I may just have to wait until I have a bigger tank set-up. Thanks for your response.

Anyone ever had incident or wrasse or other fish jump through eggcrate?

RichConley
06/05/2006, 09:26 AM
The lubbocks are small, and cheap. THey may be a good choice. I'd check into flashers though.