PDA

View Full Version : Hydrogen Sulfide Bad smell in house

Danster
06/04/2006, 08:34 PM
I'm alittle concerned after reading the article about hydrogen sulfide and the health risks with it. I recently had a bad leak in my 225 tank which made me remove the whole tank to be fixed. In doing so I had to remove my sand bed (about 2 inches deep) There had been a small odor in and around the tank for about a month but didn't think anything of it. But after removing the sand bed... the whole house has a rotten egg smell and I'm concerned for my familys safety. What should I do? The tank and the smell was close by my air conditioner and I'm wondering if its blowing throughout the house. Please tell me what to do!

boxfishpooalot
06/05/2006, 02:38 AM
Hydrogen sulphide is a dangerous gas to all living things. 20ppm of it is enough to cause death to humans.

I would open the windows untill the smell is gone!

Spectre2006
06/05/2006, 04:02 AM
I scrapped my dsb refugium too because of the smell. My tank still rocks without it.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/05/2006, 10:20 AM
I'd certainly open windows if you have an excessive H2S smell.

If it is not being released by the tank any more, the smell ought to dissipate rather quickly.

wds21921
06/05/2006, 08:18 PM
I hate to say it but that is the very reason why I've given up completely on DSB's.

Any system that holds that much H2S cannot be good. Even though I've seen remedies for it, it still doesn't seem to outweigh the risks and potential and possibly looming failures in say a power outage.

Sorry I'm not sold on the DSB theory. I think it's antiquated.

bmrigs
06/05/2006, 08:30 PM
You dont have that problem with barebottom tanks.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/06/2006, 06:24 AM
I've not had that problem with any of my sand beds, and I've had some more than 10 years. So while I do not necessarily think my sand beds do anything useful in my tanki except look nice in my main tank, I do not attribute anything bad to them either.