PDA

View Full Version : Yellow clown gobie missing? Any suggestions

smcdonn
06/04/2006, 03:02 PM
Alright guys, I have a pair of occelaris clowns and a cleaner shrimp in my 75 gallon reef. I have over 100 lbs of live rock so there are a lot of places to hide but I can't find my yellow clown gobie. He was only in there for 1 day before he came up missing. Do these guys hide a lot? Would the clowns have attacked him? Not sure if you guys need some more info but any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sean

Spectre2006
06/04/2006, 03:45 PM
I had two clown gobies, the yellow clowns seem especially susceptible to going through overflow slits. The green citrons hang out in the acro to a large extant, hopping from one to the other and rarely in midwater. The yellow clown gobies personality seems to predispose them to hang out in midwater at times during feeding. The green citrons don't come out even to feed. But their abdominal profile doesn't seem to change with time or correlate with feeding. They must be obtaining food from mucus on the acro. I saw one nipping at a mucus filament. The yellow clowns because of their personality ;hanging out in open water, predisposes them to attack from aggressive tank mates and slipping into overflows.

I came home from work to find one in my overflow and stressed out to the max. I transferred him to a 55 but he didn't make it. The only thing I can think of is that your clowns mauled him, or hes in your overflow, and they do come out when you drop food. So if you don't see him after a few days of dropping food into the tank, Most likely hes dead.

Chris

toxqc
06/04/2006, 04:16 PM
I'm sure my clownfish killed my yellowclowngobi that I bought 2 weeks ago, They did not like him. I did find him in the overflow 2 times

smcdonn
06/04/2006, 05:12 PM
Thats funny. I didn't think occelaris clowns were agressive like that. Can I take the clowns out then add the clown gobie. Then introduce the clowns after a few days. Would something like that work? That bums me out. I really liked those clown gobies. Oh well

jpslickorocks
06/04/2006, 05:23 PM
do you have a sump?
If so check there. My clown goby has made the trip through my overflow into my sump then through my return back into my display 2 times now

smcdonn
06/04/2006, 05:37 PM
Yea I have checked my sump but he's not there. He's also not in the overflow. He's not floating around dead, so did they eat him?