PDA

View Full Version : In tank refugium? Any thoughts?

alde
05/10/2002, 06:13 PM
Hello,

As I am setting up my new 75 I thought a simple refugium would be a nice addition. I have a little plexiglass box that is about 10" x 6" x 4" tall with the top open. I was thinking of putting some of that white plastic lighting grid on the open part of the box. I would put some Live Sand and LR rubble and some macro algea of some kind in it and just place it on the bottom behiend my rock work. Is this a waste of time? Any thoughts on what would make for a good simple in tank refugium?

Thanks, Al

asmujica
05/10/2002, 06:24 PM
http://www.cprusa.com/product%20images/CITR-1.jpg

This is an in-tank refugium built by CPR Aquatic. I hope this helps...

rgardiner
05/10/2002, 08:06 PM
Using an acrylic box with just the top open would not allow much water movement through it - the in-tank refugium by CPR pictured above has its own little pump. Mavbe a series of small holes drilled in the sides of your box would allow water to flow through.

Dakna
05/29/2002, 07:43 AM
How about a green strawberry basket? Leach anything bad?

wickerj
05/29/2002, 07:53 AM
Rather than put a small one in your tank (and have it take up space) why not put a little larger one above your tank. You can use a small powerhead in your tank to pump water up to a rubbermaid container above your tank and have it gravity feed back into the main tank. Check out Nagel's web site. He did the exact thing I'm describing.

Jeff

gmh320
05/29/2002, 07:56 AM
Al,
I had a plexiglass box like you describe, I believe it is used for displaying models or something, anyway I made a refuge to hold coral frags. I drilled a bunch of 1/4 holes along the sides and attached some suction cups, basically it looked like the CPR model minus the pump. It was mounted at the top of the tank near a powerhead. The flow through it was more than enough to keep the frags happy. It kept a frag from blowing around the tank if it became detached from the rock. Worked great for attaching shrooms also. Just fill the bottom with some rubble rock and toss in the frags, they attach themselves.
Greg