PDA

View Full Version : HELP! My tank has the PLAGUE!

invalid
05/10/2002, 10:40 AM
crap, I just HAD to have that new coral. Apparently it came with some flatworm hitchhikers. I know that nubbie is supposed to eat them but doesn't, so is there anything else that would be happy in a 37 gallon cube?

Also, I have a patches of bubble algea, and in some places, it has aiptasia growing ON it. What's up with that, and how do I fix it?

djbravoleader
05/10/2002, 11:11 AM
flat worms = green mandrin (psychodelic mandrain fish)
bubble alage = I think matrix crab
Ataspia= peppermint shrimp

**If you buy a mandrian make sure that you either #1 have a refium that can support his needs for food or give him back to the store once he starts to get skinny or when the flatworms are gone. Just my 2 cents. Hope any of that helps.

dendronepthya
05/10/2002, 12:31 PM
flat worms = you're stuck with them forever

SDBDRZ
05/10/2002, 12:47 PM
Green Mandarin is questionable at best. May eat them may not. I almost bought one to cure my flatworms in my nano but after researching it I decided not to. (If he did eat them once they were gone a 12g tank would not have supported his dietary requirements)

The flatworms in my nano slowly built up for several months until they got to plaque proportions then they disappeared as quick as they came. I can see none in the tank now.

As for bubble algae you want an emerald crab. I have on that loves bubble algae, but he also scrapes coralline off the Rocks.

For Aiptasia you want a peppermint shrimp. If theaiptasia are large you may have to kill them manually. Do a search and you will see what others have done. I believe a concentrated mix of Kalkwasser and a syrienge will do the trick.

djbravoleader
05/10/2002, 01:27 PM
I had flat worms for around a year in one of my tanks and the Phsycodelic mandrin ate them all. I believe that this will get rid of your flatworms. It's a try other than giving up.

djbravoleader
05/10/2002, 01:33 PM
LOL....oops i think i need to learn to spell...he.he.he

dendronepthya
05/10/2002, 01:43 PM
I'm not saying don't try...OK maybe I am. I tried the mandarin/sixline/damsel/quick chemical chenge thing, and I still have flatworms after it's all said and done. There were times where I thought I had them beat, yet a month later, they would resurface. You're more than welcome to try these methods, but my money is on the flatworms.

djbravoleader
05/10/2002, 02:10 PM
Keep in mind that not all the mandarins will eat them, but some do. If you decide to try it make sure you get the correct one....they are green looking.

invalid
05/10/2002, 03:45 PM
i'm not putting a mandarin in my 37 gallon anyway. i'm really freaking out!

Starmy
05/10/2002, 03:59 PM
Some of the reefers in my area have had great success using Oomed to get rid of their flatworms, in the completely annihilated kind of way. Good luck finding some though, from what I hear they don't make it anymore, and you have to get it from someone who stocked up.