PDA

View Full Version : Survey: Useful life of a glass tank

SAT
05/10/2002, 07:07 AM
Aquariums constructed from glass & silicone have been on the market now for well over 30 years. That should be enough time to determine how long they last before the silicone seals give out. I'd like to hear from people who have either (a) had a seal give out after a number of years of normal use (infant mortality doesn't count) or (b) have kept a tank in use for a long period (say, more than 15 years). When your tank failed, what was the mode of failure... did a whole side fall out or did it just start dripping? Also, please indicate the make & model of the tank if you know it.

For myself, I have never kept a glass tank for more than about 9 years (no failures). If you're like me, you don't need to respond. Thanks!

deansreef
05/10/2002, 08:43 AM
I have had my tank for about 12 years now and have never had a proble! It has been a freshwater tank and housed an iguana Now it is a reef for the past 2 years and still no problems!1 Dean

dgasmd
05/10/2002, 08:53 AM
Have had a 125 All Glass for over 12 years without problems. Was a freshwater tank for about 9 years and has been stored for a total of 3 years somewhere in there. Have been moved over 14 times in that period of time. Never has leaked a drop. This is the kind that did not even come with braces back then. It is now dry in my garage waiting for me to get the 450 gal tank in about 2 years so I can use it as a sump and my current 125 gal reef as a grow out/refugium. Just drooling thinking about it.

Fredfish
05/10/2002, 09:28 AM
Hmmm. Now that I think about it, I have had my 65 set up either as fresh or as a saltwater tank for almost 14 years now without a leak.

Please tell me there is someone elso out there with a tank that has been set up longer. I don't want to be the one to find out how long a tank goes before it gives out! :eek2:

Fred :D :D

SOS
05/10/2002, 09:38 AM
I had a 33gal for 14 years and it was going strong. It housed alot of different animals. I'd still be using it today if my cat didn't cause a speaker to fall on it and crack the glass :mad:

JimL77
05/10/2002, 10:07 AM
I had a 125 from 1975, had saltwater in it till 1980 when I moved across country. I trimmed silicone in corners and resealed it and put African ciclids in it until a year ago when I bought a reef tank. I resealed it again and sold it, new owner is still happy. Never had a leak in 27 years.

SAT
05/10/2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by JimL77
I had a 125 from 1975, had saltwater in it till 1980 when I moved across country. I trimmed silicone in corners and resealed it and put African ciclids in it until a year ago when I bought a reef tank. I resealed it again and sold it, new owner is still happy. Never had a leak in 27 years. 27 years... now we're getting somewhere! Could you tell us your reasons for resealing? Was there some evidence of deterioration? And was that just an interior seal or did you actually take it apart? Thanks!

JimL77
05/10/2002, 01:00 PM
No particular reason for resealing. I resealed after the tank bounced in a truck from California to Washington just to be safe. Resealed again when I sold it, just to be safe again. Sold it on Ebay and did not want any bad feedback! The silicone was starting to come loose in some places the last time, but that was after 20 years, and they still did not leak. I always wondered what happened to 10 year guaranty silicone after 10 years, but the actual joints were 27 years old and still holding fine. The stuff is amazing!

Jim

Iammatt219
05/10/2002, 02:32 PM
I had an old Dolphin Aquarium 300 gallon and an o'dell 55 gallon that i bought used in 1988 the guy I bought them from said he bought them around 1980 Unfortunately when i went to college in 93 the heater in my 300 blew up and cracked the back wall and my parents made me get rid of the 55 :mad: but now i got a 265 :)

Bernie
05/10/2002, 04:28 PM
I have a 125 perfecto that I just bought used. The date on it is 1987 and the person I purchased it form said he had it up the whole time until he moved a few years ago and put it in storage. I have had it up for about a month. I came home a couple of weeks ago and found my center brace on the bottom of the tank. Freaked me out, but I drained a quick 50 gallons and re-siliconed it and I am hoping it will last another 20 years (fingers crossed).

lori344
05/10/2002, 05:18 PM
I bought my 150 gallon used when it was ten years old. When we were breaking the tank down for the transfer, it "sprung a slow leak". When I brought it home I trimmed and replaced the old silicone, it's been up and running for a year and a half. So far so good. I think the only complaint that I have with the age of the tank is the scratches. Almost impossible to get the crud out of the crevices. This is possibly a matter of quality as opposed to age.

SteveN
05/10/2002, 05:57 PM
I have had my 10 gallon since 1980. No problems.

BRG
05/10/2002, 08:09 PM
Bought a 135 gal. O'dell in 1976, sold it to a friend some years back, it is still in use and good shape, no leaks.

bg

bgdiving
05/10/2002, 11:14 PM
My 6ft 170 gal. has been in continuous use for about 25 years. First as a fresh water for a few year then salt fish only. Tore it down, moved it 15 miles, and set it back up same day 12 years ago. It's now a reef with fish, it does NOT have a center brace and so far has not leaked or given any problems although I am a little concerned about the 12 yeqr old wroght iron stand since one of the legs seems to be rusting away at the base. You can see 3/8 inch of air on the south side before the water line drops below the north end's trim line. Believe the tank is an O' Dell but not sure it's been along time since I bought it.

I also have a 7ft 170 gal. custom built tank that cost me $100 and several kalk gun tubes of silicone. It had popped the center brace from the front glass and was starting to come apart at the front/side seams for the previous owner. We resealed it all the way around overtop of most of the old silicone except where it had actually split- removed old pealing silicone and it's been holding water fine since them except for a slow leak near the top a couple of months after repairing which was repaired by draining about 25 gallons of water out and repairing without removing corals it has worked well now for over a year.

Have an old 55 bought used, had been used in a LFS and obviously repaired before I got it. Recently after having used it for 2 or 3 years, sprung a slow leak which increased in leak rate and drained the tank.

Pomacanthus1
05/10/2002, 11:41 PM
I have a 20g AGA from '84. It used to be a fw tank my dad passed on to me until i got bored with it. It's been sitting in my basement collecting dust for the last 6 years. Every once and a while i think about making it into a frag grow-out tank, and i did fill it with water to check for leaks a few months back. Still holds water.

It was also inspected by a John L. Could it be the same John as ours?;)

KarenH
05/11/2002, 03:51 PM
Our 55 gallon All-Glass was purchased used in 1977 when I was a poor college student. It's probably around 30 years old. While it has never leaked--and it has been through many moves and in constant use--we will finally trash it after the new 150 has finished cycling.

me_rob
05/11/2002, 05:07 PM
I was gonna read all the posts but didn't want to, so I may say the same thing as other ppl. I think that a glass tank will out live a plexi tank just because plexi has a lot better chance of getting those ugly really deep scratches and glass dosn't. But, if you take very very good care of it I would go with plexi!!! Just a couple pennies from me!!!

MikeG
05/11/2002, 05:11 PM
I had a glass tank with a slate bottom fail after 20 years of my use; my dad says he used for over 5 years too!

Ironreef
05/11/2002, 05:13 PM
deep scratches are nothing compared to leaking silicone seams which I've seen more of

UKCatFan
05/11/2002, 05:28 PM
I bought my 55 at a yard sale in 1987 for $40. The guy I bought it from said he had it set up since the late 60s or early 70s. Never had a problem until a couple of months ago. Slow drippy leak in the upper corner. I have it tore down now to reseal.

30+ years total. Hope to get another 30 when I get it resealed. At least now I have the chance to get the bottom drilled to add a corner overflow.

JRF
05/11/2002, 07:55 PM
I have a 125 that is 20 years old. It has been stored in a garage for the last 10 years full of junk and toys. I have been using it for a sump for about a year now, no leaks.
JRF

Doug
05/11/2002, 08:01 PM
Hi Evan,

I have a 55g AGA tank that my dad bought sometime before 1980 that I am still using today. It has never been resealed and all the braces are still intact.

HTH

Doug