PDA

View Full Version : 9 anthias + No QT = Trouble?

TCU Reefer
05/31/2006, 05:42 PM
I ordered 9 lyretail anthias (8 female, 1 male) from Live Aquaria for my 215g reef. I have a 29g setup but I'm afraid that would be that small for that amount of fish, especially because these tend to be more aggressive.

Am I asking for trouble putting them into the display without putting them in a quarantine tank first?

My current stock list is a 4" Naso, 4" Vlamingi tang, 3" ruby headed fairy wrasse, and a 1" black onyx clown.

Thanks.

old salty
05/31/2006, 05:43 PM
To me, I would say you are asking for trouble. Look at it this way, if one of those fish have ich, now everything in your display may get it. How would you go about fixing THAT issue??

Scr1be
05/31/2006, 06:14 PM
Get some cleaner shrimp. I have 3 cleaners and 2 flame shrimp in a 125 and even if fish have ich when I put them in its gone fast.

Craig Lambert
05/31/2006, 06:20 PM
Dangerous, but you chose an excellent source for your livestock.

NCreefwannabe
05/31/2006, 06:54 PM
yeah its going to be iffy, but liveaquaria is about the best place you can order fish from.

agave60
05/31/2006, 07:08 PM
I just had a terrible experience, all of my once health fish died after introducing a non-quarantined tang into my 125. I now have to wait six weeks before starting all over again. Boy did I learn my lesson.

starseed
05/31/2006, 08:38 PM
I wouldn't risk it.

The Q tank might stress them, but it will stress them less than you if ick broke out in your display tank.

People wouldn't agree with me, but I always Q and treat fish with copper for 10 days - period.

Freed
05/31/2006, 08:47 PM
ALWAYS QT ANYTHING WET THAT YOU PLAN ON INTRODUCING INTO YOUR MAIN SYSTEM. YES, I AM YELLING.

Craig Lambert
05/31/2006, 09:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7473751#post7473751 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by starseed
I wouldn't risk it.

The Q tank might stress them, but it will stress them less than you if ick broke out in your display tank.

People wouldn't agree with me, but I always Q and treat fish with copper for 10 days - period.

You would treat fish with copper and then place them in a reef tank? Or a FOWLR tank........

steveo32
05/31/2006, 10:20 PM
I would say try them in the 29 for like a week I think it says on copper. Because when you think about when the lfs and vendors get the fish most of the time they go into smaller tanks. However my philosphy is that you always have ich in your tank its just a matter of your fishes health on weather or not they will get it and having it be a severe problem. I have a purple tang that has been in the system for well over 2 years and still gets a spot of ich from time to time but its never more than a spot and it always goes away. But thats just me try what best suits yours needs and opinion. But I hope they live they are some beautyful fish I can;t wait to get mine

steveo32
05/31/2006, 10:20 PM
I would say try them in the 29 for like a week I think it says on copper. Because when you think about when the lfs and vendors get the fish most of the time they go into smaller tanks. However my philosphy is that you always have ich in your tank its just a matter of your fishes health on weather or not they will get it and having it be a severe problem. I have a purple tang that has been in the system for well over 2 years and still gets a spot of ich from time to time but its never more than a spot and it always goes away. But thats just me try what best suits yours needs and opinion. But I hope they live they are some beautyful fish I can;t wait to get mine