PDA

View Full Version : Hermit Crabs

jenzabear
05/31/2006, 01:54 PM
Are hermits an absolute must in a reef tank or will extra snails do the job. Just curious because they almost seem like more of a pest than anything.

Thanks.

cainchristy
05/31/2006, 01:58 PM
I have them in mine, and really regret buying them.....if they ever die out, I won't be replacing them. I think they are more of a pest in my reef.

ToTaLCHaoS13
05/31/2006, 02:07 PM
In what way do you consider them a pest? Are they destoying things in your tanks? How large are they?

cainchristy
05/31/2006, 02:12 PM
They have been in there for a year, and are quite large, some up to 2-3 inches. They pick at my corals, especially when I try to feed them. They try to snatch food away from the anemone, etc. Not to mention, knocking things over! Yeah, I would say they are a pest...

OldmillXxX
05/31/2006, 02:29 PM
Snail killers.

I think for the most part, if there is enough food to go around they might be peaceful, but any I have had kill my snails. They seem to really like ceriths, I suppose for the shell. I tried going all snail this round in my 55, but a couple blue legged hitched in on a piece of rock that contained pregnant gorrilla crabs, hairy mushrooms, and some black sponges. The gorrilla crabs have been more algae eaters than the hermits. As soon as they started to grow (the hermits), I watched them kill a couple cerith snails.

They are still in there, but I am watching them closely.

chrisstie
05/31/2006, 02:58 PM
My tank is still just a baby but I think so long as you are conservative in your "crabbage" they won't be competing over food and will have plenty to live on. You don't want them to have to fight for food...

somehow this is reminding me of my cats wanting food all the time.. better go feed them!

kraze3
05/31/2006, 02:59 PM
I have both snails and hermits. I love watching them both. As long as they get enough food they shouldnt kill off too many snails, if any.

chip721
05/31/2006, 03:48 PM
I put a few of the red legged hermits in my tank(s) recently. Now I notice I have a few less snails and the hermits are wearing new coats. I even made sure I had some empty shells available in the tank too. I guess the hermits wanted a coat and a meal.

kevin2000
05/31/2006, 04:04 PM
As you may have noticed ... different opinions about hermits. As crabs they are predatory critters and seldom pass up an easy meal .. how easy the meal is is usually dependent on how big the crab is and whats available to eat in the tank.

Diversity is important when thinking of a clean up crew ... each critter tends to do a better job at some things than others. Some would argue that having various snails (some meat eaters, algae eaters, etc) combined with crabs is a good combo .. but crabs are going to create some problems .. whether those problems are significant often depends on the type and size the crab.

BucNtears
05/31/2006, 05:02 PM
I'm kicking around the idea of REMOVing my hermits.
The red legs and blues are wiping out my snails.

What are some taughts on adding a crab instead of hermits?

Sk8r
05/31/2006, 07:36 PM
Scarlets get (with shell) about 1 1/2 inches in size. Bluelegs get half that, max. If you have something bigger, I suspect the species.

If you have enough spare shells of gradated sizes (ask your lfs) you don't have snailicides. I've never lost a snail to a hermit. I have, to a rabbitfish.

Mine are all over the place, and even camp in the coral, but have never harmed anything, their feet are so tiny and so light. I take great delight in their antics.

stilltryn
05/31/2006, 09:47 PM
i have 1 , its 2-3" and it climbs over everything! it ate my hammer! but it is awsome i woundn't give it up.