PDA

View Full Version : Pods

rivank
05/29/2006, 10:43 PM
So I just came home from work tonight and the white lights on the tank were off and just the actincs were on. I walked up to the tank to see how every thing was doing and on the glass was hundreds of white specs. Some of them I could see the arms of what appear to starfish and others were hoping around like fleas all over the glass. I was wonder if those might be the 'pods that every talks about being beneficial to the tank and what a mandarin needs to survive. Not that I'm interested in trying to keep a mandarin but always good to know right?

killingseed
05/29/2006, 10:57 PM
maybe jelly's like

http://www.melevsreef.com/id/jelly.html

i had them , 100's maybe 100's shortly after i setup my tank, but after a month or two of seeing them there isnt that to many left if any at all, i beleave they will go away. if thats what they are

if pods , which my scooter seems to hunt them down in the tank. but there are many more breeding in my refug.

Konadog
05/29/2006, 10:58 PM
Sounds like them. You can also check about an hour after you lights completely go off by shining a flashlight in the bottom corner of your tank. Give it five minuets and watch the show.

rivank
05/29/2006, 11:09 PM
Killingseed, That seems to be what they are. I can't see nearly as close as the photo on melev's but pretty sure that's what they are. Thanks a bbunch. Now the ones that look like fleas.......

dppitone
05/30/2006, 12:30 AM
That's a variety of copepod. Good diversity, but probably will get dovoured over time by larger copepods, or by amphipods, if you have them too.