PDA

View Full Version : Virus warning!!!

Dakna
05/08/2002, 06:29 AM
I have been receiving many emails lately with attached viruses.
The email has an item " smgreenmilipora102[1].scr " it contains the Virus " W32.Klez.gen@mm ". This is a worm which infects your computer and sends the virus to everyone in your address book.
I have received this five times now. Be careful, it's a jungle out there!
You can get the fix for this virus at www.symantec.com have to scan for it first though.

aznepydna
05/08/2002, 07:29 AM
I too have received about a half dozen of these e-mails. Norton anit-virus has caught them I think.

Andy

Dakna
05/08/2002, 07:34 AM
Make sure to use LiveUpdate often. Also, you can set your computer to scan daily ( preferably while you are not in need of it ) which will keep you safe.

A major benefit for all is to delete your address book listings if you do not have an Anti virus program. That way at least, you are not infecting others.

dc
05/08/2002, 08:14 AM
My nephew, who works at Micron said to put !0000 as your first email address as to stop them from grabbing your addresses.:D

karlas
05/08/2002, 09:42 AM
also for your first address you can use aaa works the same as the 0's it doesnt exist so it stops there

for anybody that wants to read up on it here is the symatac page info from nortons

virus info (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.h@mm.html)

fishpoo
05/08/2002, 03:34 PM
same here. i just cleaned my HD of the PE Majistr.A virus.

bluesy
05/10/2002, 01:30 AM
Maybe people should get a good virus program that is uptodate, many of the popular arent any good (mcafee norton) www.grisoft.com lets you use their program for free, it only misses the network search function and a few minor functions that you as a administrator uses, highly recommended by most administrators i talk to.

Dennis

Flatlander
05/10/2002, 06:41 AM
Every *&^%559*%^9 day, I have to delete a couple of them. My anti viris catches them all, but for crap sake.:)

Where do ya put this 000 or aaa. As the first address in an address book? or somewhere else?

dc
05/10/2002, 08:18 AM
Yes in your address book!:D It doesn't keep you from getting one, but if you can get everyone you know to do it too, it helps. I've not got one since. I had hate mail for a month after the last virus I got!

Kevomac
05/12/2002, 07:27 AM
I had to reformat my hard drive to get rid of that %$^# thing, and I was told that it works only in Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express, so I changed my browser to Netscape Navigator 6.21 for my e-mail account. I didn't reinstall Outlook Express at all when I re-setup my computer.

Acolin
05/12/2002, 07:47 AM
Unbeknownst to you, while your computer is on the Internet, other computers are knocking at its doors. They are looking for a way in. If you are using the Internet with a computer, you can not surf without a personal firewall. A firewall is just that, a wall against other computers communicating with your PC. There are a few things that you can do to protect yourself against unwelcome intruders.

First and foremost, do NOT open any attachments without running a virus check. Yahoo.com includes a free virus check when you use their email service.

Next, you must use a virus checker. Norton provides a very good virus checker. PC magazine says "Norton AntiVirus is the universal antibiotic for almost any malicious computer bug. This program finds nearly every virus thrown at it and does an excellent job of cleaning the viruses out of documents. These days, most viruses are transmitted via e-mail; Norton AntiVirus integrates with e-mail programs to scan attachments for viruses before they can infect your system." $39.95 list. Symantec Corp., www.symantec.com.

Third, get the FREE ZoneAlarm personal firewall at www.zonelabs.com. Like the Norton Antivirus, this program is PC magazine Editor's Choice for PC port protection. A firewall is a guard at the gate. It blocks unknown attempts to open your PC ports. If you surf the Net, you must have both.

Also, you can get Microsoft's latest security fixes for FREE at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/. The site scans your computer for MS software and notifies you of updates to the software. It provides fixes for known bugs. It can also contact you when there are security updates. They have updates about once a month! Many of the virus programs use Microsoft as a resource. When Microsoft has a virus alert - they all do.

My McAfee Personal Firewall logs hacker attacks. It is amazing how many times someone is pinging our PC ports, looking for a way in. The attacks seem to come from all over the world. Many form the U.S., but many from the Middle East also. So far, I have had 500 suspicious attempts to open one of my PC ports since the beginning of the year. Almost 300 of them have been Sub 7 Trojan scans! The most popular port to attack has been port 80. The one this morning gave from New South Wales (Australia) in 26 bounces by way of San Francisco.

stephane
05/16/2002, 03:08 PM
Acolin have you read the bad ratting of zonealarm after read a couple I will never install this program on my computer.

Thos are two of the multitide bad rating it have

"Can't Uninstall It! Look out! Forget it!"
I installed Zone Alarm Pro and one night had problems getting into any web sites. I contacted my cable ISP and he couldn't do anything for me because as far as he was concerned I didn't exist, I wasn't even there. I did everything i coul do to uninstall the firewall but was unsuccessful. Since then I have learned that Zone Alarm Pro can be runn ing in the background even after it has been so-called "uninstalled". This thing is like a virus. I have to have my entire operating system reloaded and the hard drive swept clean of this firewall. I curse the day I ever heard of Zone Labs!

"Don't Get This aND SAVE FUSTRATION"
look it's not worth it every web page you have to answer a wuestio to get to it. i had to shut the firewall down to open downloads.com which is the site your viewing. My parents had to go out and buy the pay version cost $40 and worked for 2 weeks then had to have computer cleared out and reformated at anb $85. This software cost me over $135 in damages to my computer. my advice stay away and avoid these horifiyng fees

Acolin
05/16/2002, 03:20 PM
I had no problem removing zonealarm, but then I did not merely delete it from my desktop and think that it was gone, I also did not ask my cable guy about a program that I installed ...

FISH WHISPERER
05/20/2002, 04:03 AM
I agree 100% about the need for a firewall. An antivirus is only as good as the last time it was updated. They are good for nuisances, and especially good for programs which might have some older nuisances. But a firewall is so awesome... For years I have run the Sygate Personal Firewall.... It is free for individual use on a single system, but must be paid for networks. But for all of us on a personal computer, not at work :D :D :D this is an awesome firewall... I believe you can take the chase from here:
www.sygate.com
It has three basic security levels, and if you want, you can boost the firewall to "block all" with just a single click from the Sygate icon on your taskbar. The program even comes with it's own self-uninstaller. It logs everything, notes you when there is incoming/outcoming... And if you have continuous applications that connect, you can select "always remember" so you don't get a flag every time your computer connects.

Another good thing is to not allow your Microsoft Outlook Express to open attachments automatically.

That's a good tip on the aaa in the address book.

I hope anyone interested at least checks out the Sygate Personal Firewall. While I don't make a practice of downloading programs from the internet, the Sygate is the first thing I do on a new computer.

I'm glad I read this... Some good info here... Normally I don't even bother with redundant virus threads, ;) but again, some good info here. HTH, and thanks!

Regards

Toutouche
05/22/2002, 11:58 AM
I will vouch for Acolin's ideas and point of views.

Aquaman
06/04/2002, 06:50 AM
Maybe people should get a good virus program that is up to date, many of the popular arent any good (mcafee norton) www.grisoft.com lets you use their program for free, it only misses the network search function and a few minor functions that you as a administrator uses, highly recommended by most administrators i talk to. NT Net admin here! 15 plus years. Never heard of this program. Our network is rather small compaired to many only 30 servers and 300 workstations. We use Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition, It catches everything! I just wish it could catch hackers as well. For some reason there seems to be a few individules that have made it their crusade to try and hack into our network :mad: Oh well, keeps me on my toes!

firechild
06/11/2002, 08:19 AM
I recently got a virus win32.hybrid.something or other. I'm not sure how I got it, but the first thing it does is wipe out any virus scanning programs. I think I may have got it thru picture transfer possibly here or on the RC IRC chat.