PDA

View Full Version : Micro bubble control

gmasaru
05/23/2006, 05:42 PM
I just set up my 90 gallon display, 30 gallon sump. I have a standard bubble trap (3 baffles 1" apart, 1" space on bottom) between the skimmer section and return but am still getting a good amount of micro bubbles back up to the tank. How are you all keeping them to a minimum?

thanks

Fiziksgeek
05/23/2006, 07:46 PM
what is your flow like???

If the water is moving too quickly the micro bubbles may not have time to rise out...

51504reef
05/23/2006, 10:34 PM
I had the same issue-use a foam block either between baffles or over the return opening. Or you can use a filter sock where waters come into the sump. Personally i use both because I hate bubbles in the display.

sjm817
05/23/2006, 10:37 PM
With 1" spacing in a 12" wide tank, the bubble trap wont work well with a high flow. What is you return pump? A filter sock on the drain can do wonders.

jdieck
05/23/2006, 10:44 PM
Are the three baffles open at the bottom? If so they may need to be rearranged so water is forced to go over the first, below the second and over the third.
Also just to be sure check that the inlet to your return pump is not restricted. Submerged pumps wth foam filters in the inlet can create cavitation, also external pumps with too small an inlet pipe diameter or with too many fittings could also create cavitation which result in lots of microbubbles being discharged but also shortening the pump's life.