PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Tunze dual 6100 or 6200 w/ controller

pepe.king.prawn
05/23/2006, 02:27 AM
Looking for two Tunze 6100's or 6200's with a 7095 controller and magnetic holders. I have some stuff that I might be willing to work a partial trade on the deal with. 175w halides, a 125gal tank, an iwaki, a 40gal truvu, a breeding pair of mgb clows and some other stuff I can't think of. Just trying to pass some good stuff onto people who will use it, otherwise I can scrounge up the cash if you'd like. Let me know what you've got and how much you want. Thanks.

yoshiod9
05/23/2006, 04:14 AM
best bet is to just hunt the classifieds here day and night. lol. that's how i managed to pick mine up. good luck, tristan! btw, how'd the first year at davis treat you?
-danny

pepe.king.prawn
05/23/2006, 10:04 AM
Hey, ya don't worry I'll be checkin the classifieds too :D . I'll tell you in three weeks when finals are over how my first year went :lol: ! I don't know, I have mixed feelings about UCD. It's definitely difficult, and I haven't really had the best time in the dorms, but I've taken a couple fun classes and I'm really looking forward to moving into a house next month (heh, not only because I can keep a bigger tank ;) ). I think the best thing so far is that Davis really has a lot to offer for undergrads in the sciences if you want to do research. I'm lucky in that my prior work experience got me a little bit of networking with some of the major players in research here, and landed me a job doing mass spectrometry for the nurtition department, which is what I'll be doing here over the summer. I think getting experience applying your knowledge is rather important when it comes to higher education, or working after college. Anyhow, thanks for asking. Take it easy!

Reefugee
05/23/2006, 11:16 AM
Hey Tristan -

If you see any Tunze 6000 - you can purchase that and then upgrade it to a 6100. Both the Tunze 6000 and 6100 uses the same motor - just difference transformer. The price of the transfer is about the same as the price difference between the Tunze 6100 and the Tunze 6000. The advantage of upgrading is that you will have a spare transformer - just incase one of your transformers goes bad.

BTW - what size tank are you putting this thing into? I was considering two 6100 for my 120G (4x2x2) - but a few people thought that would be too much flow for the mixed tank with a shallow sandbed. I read that 2 x 6100 would be fine in an SPS tank with no sandbed.

BTW - I wish I could have afforded this hobby when I was in college. :D

Minh

pepe.king.prawn
05/23/2006, 04:40 PM
Haha. Don't worry, I can't afford it!!!! :lol: . I'm going to have to sell off some of my assets to afford setting up this new tank.

I'm aware of the transformer thing, but I haven't really seen the transformers sold separately. You can also do that 6100 to 6200 I believe. Either way, I'd rather not pay the full brunt of $850+ for a set of tunzes brand new.

I'm aware that it's a lot of flow, but I think it's perfect for a 6x2x2 180gallon. I still haven't decided whether to go BB or not. BB doesn't look as good in my opinion, but I really want to get good solid coloration out of my SPS. I still have lots of work before my tank is set up, but I can't avoid having to buy tunzes or more seios and a new skimmer (going with Octopus RPS-3000 as recommended by Trevdog).

PS. I'll have to stop by and check out your tank one of these days. Maybe after I finish classes on the 15th.

yoshiod9
05/23/2006, 05:13 PM
hey tristan, for the transformers for the 6000 to the 6100 you can buy them for 75 a pop at places like http://www.reefexotics.com/

pepe.king.prawn
05/23/2006, 05:40 PM
Cool, thanks! No dice on findin used tunzes so far though. Maybe I should just go for the wavebox and another Seio 2600??

plankton
05/23/2006, 09:19 PM
Is the 120G going into your dorm room? Man, you are gunna have to sleep under the thing...

Scott

pepe.king.prawn
05/23/2006, 09:24 PM
HAHA! No, no thankfully not! I have a 40 gallon in my dorm room right now (already against the rules, so shhhh ;) ), and I sleep above it. Oh well, some things call for desperate measures. My 125gal live at my Mom's house. I'm moving in to a house (WOOHOOO NO MORE DORMS!), and the plan is to consolidate my tanks into the 180 and put it in the garage. Only problem is that the garage isn't currently insulated. Thankfully my parents own the property, but it'll be a big project for me to insulate and put up dry wall in addition to setting up this new tank. Care to come help :rollface: ?

plankton
05/23/2006, 09:35 PM
In you are ever in the Tracy area come check out my 210G located in my garage before you make your final decision.

Good news for a garage tank is that no matter how much mess you make you can always just hose it down after you are done. A large tank in the house... Well, you need to take more care. Bad news for a garage tank..is well...it is in the garage so it is hard to enjoy the tank from the comfort of the couch in your living room unless the tank is there too!

WRT equipment. The most important items are: a good source of inexpensive salt, refractometer, super-sized skimmer, some flow and a dash of light. Don't need much else.

You can get by with Seios for now or just add a closed-loop. Well, read Minh's thread on setting up a closed loop before you go down that road.

Good luck and don't forget to post pics of your progress on your new tank project...

Scott

pepe.king.prawn
05/23/2006, 09:51 PM
I have a friend who commutes Tracy to Davis every day, I'll definitely come check it out some time. Salt seems to be the same price everywhere (no? which back alley do you get yours in? heh), I've got the refractometer, my plan for a skimmer is the RPS-3000 since it's recirc and pretty big yet only $350, and I've got the lighting covered as I think my 400 radiums will suffice. I do have one Seio 2600, and I like it, but it seems like the advantage of the Tunzes is the control so that you get some change in the direction of the current through the tank. Undoubtedly there's some way to modify the Seios to run them on a wavemaker, but it's probably just as easy to get the Tunzes.

I'll try my best to post pics. Only problem is I don't own a camera :( .

yoshiod9
05/24/2006, 02:33 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7425825#post7425825 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pepe.king.prawn
Thankfully my parents own the property, but it'll be a big project for me to insulate and put up dry wall in addition to setting up this new tank. Care to come help :rollface: ?

i'm actually not going to be working this summer (i love my parents!)-- all i've got to worry about is passing the CBEST (substitute teaching and for secondary education in a few years). so, if you need help, i'm more than happy to come help out, since i'll have a lot of free time. :D
-danny

Reefugee
05/24/2006, 09:19 AM
Tristan -

If you're going to add electrical wiring behind the drywall - I would strongly suggest that get a permit for it. Davis is really strict about building permits. It won't bite you in the butt now, but if you ever plan on selling the house, you'll have to get a permit eventually. There is a heavy penalty for getting a permit after the fact PLUS sometimes you will have to undo some of your work so they can verify it was done properly.

Minh

pepe.king.prawn
05/24/2006, 09:58 AM
Hm.... Which would mean they wouldn't want me doing the electrical work myself? They'd want a licensed electrician doing the work. Ugh Davis!!! :mad2: somewhere between all the parking permits, frog tunnels and police corruption it doesn't make sense to me sometimes. Oh well. It's worth it. It'd be sweet to have a nice garage at the house.

Danny - Sweet! I've heard the CBEST isn't that bad. This summer should be a good one, I've got a lot of tanks to see and a lot of fellow reef enthusiasts to meet up with! That'd be awesome if you wanted to help out!

Reefugee
05/24/2006, 10:08 AM
You are not require to hired a licensed electrician. You can do the wiring yourself - but it does have to be up to code. Like I said - it's not a big deal until you try to sell the house. Get this - I live in an old house that doesn't have GFCI by any water outlet. I swapped out the old outlet with GFCI. However, if I ever sell this house, they will penalize me heavily ($40 per outlet + $80 late fee). However, I can convert the outlet back to regular outlet, and I would be fine. Ironic... (BTW - I agree with you on everything but the police corruption. I actually like our police in town.)

pepe.king.prawn
05/24/2006, 10:21 AM
Heh. I just find campus police and davis police to be a bit nosey when it comes to UCD students. And of course what's in the news put me off a little bit, but I won't hold an eternal grudge for that.

Do you have any idea how much such permits would cost? I imagine I then need one to do a "renovation" of the garage. Do I need to have an inspector come out and look at the work before I throw up the dry wall?

Reefugee
05/24/2006, 10:41 AM
I don't know how much it is - but my whole house fan was $40 - that's for the permit. The cost of the inspector coming out is included in the permit cost. I was told by a friend that they will come out a second time for a free inspection if you failed the first inspection. I don't know if they charge for a third visit. I heard the inspectors are pretty easy going, and they try to be helpful. I also heard that they are much harder when they inspect your house for resell.

Although I am no expert, I would definitely have them inspect your electrical work before putting up the drywall. If you don't they may make you tear down the dry wall so that they can make sure that your wiring is correct. But if you really want to know - go to City Hall and ask them. City Hall is located on Russle and A St / B St. Look for the development and build code (or something like that) office.

Minh

pepe.king.prawn
05/24/2006, 12:08 PM
Hmm.. I'll really have to think out all I need to do here. You'll probably get a kick out of this:

There's not enough power in the garage to power the lights of the tank, so I'll have to add another circuit. Problem being, the breaker panel's full. Have to get an electrician to install a new main box, then I have to add new circuit(s) for the garage, and one for the bathroom (installing electric fan). :confused: How many permits do I need? I'll have to go talk to them.

Maximus
05/24/2006, 03:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7427378#post7427378 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yoshiod9
i'm actually not going to be working this summer (i love my parents!)-- all i've got to worry about is passing the CBEST (substitute teaching and for secondary education in a few years). so, if you need help, i'm more than happy to come help out, since i'll have a lot of free time. :D
-danny
Danny,
You don't have to worry about the CBEST. The test is incredibly easy. I took it around 10 years ago and it was a piece of cake. Not sure if they have changed it though. Good luck.

yoshiod9
05/24/2006, 09:07 PM
thanks, sang! i took the online pre-test and it was a breeze, so i'm actually not really stressing out about it. i just know that my math skills are somewhat fuzzy at times. i mean, i'm an English guy and i've only taken the math courses required by the college (statistics was the highest i needed to go). by the looks of the online example exam, i don't see myself having any difficulties, really. :) thanks for the kind words, though...it helps to know that people i know have done well on it. :)

tristan, when you find out what permits you'll need, lmk...my brother is an electrician and i'm sure he'd help out if you need it (dunno how much it'd cost though...but lmk exactly what you want done, and i'll let him know and he can estimate it, if you'd like.).
-danny