PDA

View Full Version : moving to Rantoul from TN

philagothos
05/22/2006, 12:55 PM
Hello All,

My wife and I are moving to Rantoul this week. We are coming from Knoxville, TN and will be there Friday morning. I've been surfing RC and learning about saltwater for a couple years, but just set up my first tank this month. Right now I have a 29. Soon it will become the sump for a 30 that I need to drill. Eventually one of them will become a sump for a 90 that I need to build a stand for. Lots of projects, but little time...

I've been a member of the East Tennessee Reef Club for a couple years now. It's a great club that I have learned a lot from. I look forward to meeting you guys & gals and continuing to learn more about this great hobby/addiction.

-Kevin

Benny Z
05/22/2006, 12:59 PM
welcome!

you're moving from knoxville tn to rantucky because.......why???? lol

i know w2 is from rantoul.

philagothos
05/22/2006, 01:20 PM
Rantucky huh? Honestly, we were looking at Champaign because we have friends there, but the rent is rediculous. Rantoul is close enough that we can drive to Champaign easily. We don't know much about the area, but from what I found online it seems like a nice enough town. Also, Rantoul puts us only 3 hours from my family and more than 10 hours from the in-laws. :)

My wife just graduated college and I am taking a little time off to earn money so I can come back when we can afford it. We plan to open a cleaning business and hope that it will help us pay off these stupid student loans.

-Kevin

Benny Z
05/22/2006, 01:25 PM
rantoul is a nice town. it always seems very clean when i am there. it's just a little on the...flat side...compared to knoxville. :D

Chromed1
05/22/2006, 01:57 PM
I used to live in Rantoul with the military. Very quiet and peaceful as I recall. GRanted, that was back in 88...

brad23
05/22/2006, 02:07 PM
I thought Rantoul was turning into the ghetto?

epon
05/22/2006, 02:11 PM
welcome to the area and club!

lglamb
05/22/2006, 02:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7415849#post7415849 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by brad23

No, Paul is moving to Champaign.

Lowell
-ban me, please!

:)

epon
05/22/2006, 03:02 PM
haha, ouch ! Hey I left my broken down chevy truck out at the farm !

hcs3
05/22/2006, 03:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7415849#post7415849 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by brad23

yeah, it ain't pretty. once the air force pulled out it has sort of spiraled downhill since. since kevin is only renting i suspect he'll be up in champaign at the end of the first lease :)

and kevin...expensive rent in chamaign? really? i was amazed at how cheap it was myself, but i came down from chicago and not up from knoxville. the rent is a tad high because of the students, but you could have gotten into a summer rental for next to nothing right now as the students are gone and the 3 month lease is often cheaper than one month of the typical 12 month lease. i think you may also figure out why rantoul rent is considerably more affordable than champaign on yur own in short order. when you factor in gas mileage, drive time, and the neighborhoods of rental units, it really isn't any cheaper to be in rantoul.

regardless, welcome to CIMA and hope to see you around.

w2
05/22/2006, 04:04 PM
Welcome to the neighborhood....Well, not my neighborhood, I hope for your sake!

I have been here since '85 and have watched Rantoul go downhill steadily. But recently, we are in an upward trend. There is a lot of new building going on, and the new Super Wal-Mart will put us in hillbilly heaven! :)

Seroiusly, welcome to Rantoul and CIMA. Look forward to another local folk!

hcs3
05/22/2006, 04:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7416668#post7416668 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by w2
But recently, we are in an upward trend.

i agree with this. i now have at least 4 different customers requesting expensive beer from the liquor locker and make bi-weekly deliveries :p

that is unless bill has split personalities that all prefer different beer...

philagothos
05/22/2006, 05:00 PM
We're moving into Golfview Village, which seems like a nice place from what we've seen online. I don't have a job yet up there, but I was talking to a guy today that told me I could probably get on at a meat packing plant in Rantoul rather easily (I'm so excited :rolleyes: ). My wife is going to be working in Champaign, but it is less of a drive than she currently has for work, so I'm not too concerned about the mileage and drive time. As far as neighbors go... well, that remains to be seen.

Once we know the area better we probably will be moving somewhere. But, it's a start and we'll see where it leads.

-Kevin

Benny Z
05/22/2006, 05:07 PM
what's your skill?

there are some fortune 500 giants in the area (meaning central illinois, not rantucky:D ) that hire for entry level positions regularly. we might be able to make some recommendations for places to submit your resume.

philagothos
05/22/2006, 06:12 PM
I've done a bit of everything. I started out studying to be a mechanical engineer in '95. I worked in speaker factory as an acoustic technician from 1996-2000 while doing volunteer ministry. Sold cars in 2001 to get money to go back to school. I've been working on a degree in ministry on a on-again/off-again basis since then. I've been installing and running professional sound equipment for about 10 years. I've also done everything from delivering pizzas, to working in a library, and being a mechanic to earn money for school.

Since school let out I've been working with a handyman remodeling houses and such. I'm afraid I'm starting to become a "jack of all trades, master of none" kind of guy. My immediate goals are to earn a bunch of money so I can return to school and get my degree in ministry. I know of a church in Champaign that is looking for a youth minister, so I'm thinking about applying, but I hate to do that when I don't plan to be there long term. Also, youth ministers typically get lousy pay. It's ultimately what I want to do with my life, but it would not be very good for paying the bills right now.

Anyhow, that's me in a nutshell. Know if any of these companies have need of a pizza delivery guy/sound tech/grease monkey/librarian/minister/handyman?

-Kevin

brad23
05/22/2006, 07:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7417178#post7417178 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Benny Z
what's your skill?

there are some fortune 500 giants in the area (meaning central illinois, not rantucky:D ) that hire for entry level positions regularly. we might be able to make some recommendations for places to submit your resume.

Not the call center :D

philagothos
05/22/2006, 08:07 PM
The guy that told me about the meat processing plant also mentioned a call center. I'm not sure that would fit me too well. My wife has worked at one in the past, but she never cared for it. I'll do whatever I have to in order to pay the bills, but it would be nice if I could at least somewhat enjoy it.

-Kevin

ahenson
05/22/2006, 09:10 PM
I live in Indiana but work in Rantoul. Come apply at Shields Autocenter we need salesmen. Welcome to the area. Maybe I can help you with your tank. When it's set up I'll get you some frags.
Andy

philagothos
05/23/2006, 12:08 AM
Thanks Andy, I might have to stop by and apply. I have to say though, I was not much of a salesman before (I hated how much I had to lie). It's funny though, in the last month I've helped in the selling of 5 cars in the last couple weeks by connecting buyers and sellers.

As far as the tank goes... I am hoping to keep everything in a bucket with a heater & powerhead to minimize the cycle when I get there. So hopefully I'll be ready for frags soon after getting there and I'll definitely hook up with you for that. What I'm really going to be in need of is RODI water. Even if I set mine up as soon as I get there, it will likely take most of the day to produce enough water. Then I need to add the salt and let it sit a day or two to age. Is there an LFS in the area that sells already mixed water for a reasonable price?

-Kevin

I just checked the Shields Autocenter website. I see they sell Fords. That's what I started off selling, then I was transferred to the Mitsubishi, Isuzu, Susuki, Kia dealer next door. On the other side of the Ford dealership was the Chrysler, Plymouth, Dodge, Jeep dealer and we all shared the same used car lot.

ahenson
05/23/2006, 01:02 AM
I've been in the car business for 13 years. I hope everyone who knows me knows my word is good. I'll quit before I do something unethical. If you stand up for what you believe in people respect that.
We do have a lfs that sells water called "The Aquarium" Jerry is the owner and he might do that if you call ahead. If not me or Bill (w2) can help with that. Send a PM if you need help

philagothos
05/23/2006, 01:51 AM
I was only in the car business for about a year. The dealership I worked at was a very high pressure place. I know there are decent dealerships out there, but the one I worked at was not one of them. My boss told me one day that I had to chose between youth ministry (actually he called it "screwing around with kids") and selling cars. I politely told him where he could park his cars.

Cars are actually a side passion of mine. I originally went to Purdue to design racecars. I had some fun with Formula SAE and Baja SAE. I also worked on their solar car that went to Australia. Now that I've been called to ministry I often find myself doing things with cars to help pay for my education.

Well... it's late and I should get some sleep. I've got a lot of packing to do before I get the truck on Wednesday.

-Kevin

lglamb
05/23/2006, 03:16 PM
You might notice in another thread, Rantoul Bill is into
racing, sprint if I remember ok (which isn't likely).

There's a couple places around you can get water.
The Aquarium in central Rantoul, Sailfin in Champaign,
and what we fondly call "David's Tank".

Welcome to the area. There's a get together (mebbe DIY)
tentatively scheduled for sometime in June. Watch this
space. :)

Lowell

w2
05/23/2006, 09:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7423523#post7423523 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lglamb
You might notice in another thread, Rantoul Bill is into
racing, sprint if I remember ok (which isn't likely).

Lowell

I'm impressed, Lowell. You are correct. It is a sprint car. However, our technology is way out in the cornfield compared to the solar powered cars that Kevin worked on. Compared to that stuff, we look like Bo and Luke Duke.....

philagothos
05/24/2006, 12:57 PM
Lol. Most recently I've worked on my '87 Toyota Pickup and my wife's '91 Olds Cutlass Calais, pretty out in the cornfield too. I was raised on the Duke boys, they are part of what made me like cars so much. Well, them and the Bandit (I never got tired of those chase scenes!).

Our formula car at Purdue had a 600cc Honda CBR F3 engine, fuel injected and supercharged, running on something like 105 octane. The whole car weighed under 500 lbs and did 0-70 in about 3.5 seconds. The car would pull over 1.5 g in the corners (for comparison most Corvettes barely pull 1 g).

My work on the solar car was pretty limited. About all I can remember was telling them to use nitrogen to fill the tires because it doesn't have water vapor to add weight to the tires (something I learned from drag racing). I helped in a couple small ways as well, but I was primarily focused on the formula car (it went much faster :) ).

-Kevin

fkdenton
05/24/2006, 01:43 PM
[QUOTE]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7420100#post7420100 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ahenson
[B]I've been in the car business for 13 years. I hope everyone who knows me knows my word is good. I'll quit before I do something unethical. If you stand up for what you believe in people respect that.

I agree completly. I have only been in the buisness 6 years but there is no need to lie if you sell a decent product. I to would quit before I did that.

hcs3
05/24/2006, 03:02 PM
that's why i sell beer :D

cioutlaw
05/24/2006, 05:38 PM
Dragracing? I like this guy already :)

"About all I can remember was telling them to use nitrogen to fill the tires because it doesn't have water vapor to add weight to the tires (something I learned from drag racing). "

I have heard of running nitrogen because it doesent expand & contract as much as air & pressure remains constant.

How much weight do you estimate you could save in weight? tire is 15"rim & 14.5"x32" tire

philagothos
05/24/2006, 10:04 PM
It's been 11 years since I did any kind of real performance work on cars. The weight savings with nitrogen is miniscule, but we were talking about it's impact on a very weak vehicle over very long distances. The fact that is was rotational weight was a great thing though. I would guesstimate the weight savings to be on the order of ounces, but it might make a difference. I think it also helps the rubber to last longer because the water vapor breaks down the rubber slowly. The same thing could likely be accomplished with an air dryer system on the compressed air system.

Time to carry some boxes to the truck...

-Kevin

cioutlaw
05/24/2006, 10:20 PM
ok...thanks. That weight savings wouldnt be worth the trouble of transporting Nitrogen for me. Good luck with your move.

ajbowman
05/25/2006, 12:18 AM
FSAE!!! I was on the U of I team in 2004. By far the hardest I worked and the most fun I had (for a class at least) in my 4 years of school.

As far as nitrogen goes... the main reason to use nitrogen is it's dry. No water vapor means less expansion as temperature changes. Nitrogen is convenient... easy to obtain and a little safer than filling up with pure oxygen!

lglamb
05/25/2006, 09:19 AM
soooo, helium is against the rules?

:)