PDA

View Full Version : Boofer, where's the fish?

just dave
05/21/2006, 07:32 PM
Title says it all.

boofer
05/22/2006, 09:35 AM
Well, there still a little skiddish. These 5 stayed here all night (till the light went out). One lone ballsy one was swimming around the caves the whole time.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/DDowl/IMG_1922.jpg

This morning I can only find 3...2 are swimming out in the open and the other was hanging out under a rock. The other 3 I hope to see later. Theres lots of places to hide and the tank is jump proof so Im sure there still in there. Ill get some pictures of them schooling once they get settled in.

luckyfish
05/22/2006, 09:50 AM
Dustin,
what are these fish?

boofer
05/22/2006, 09:58 AM
There 6 Slender Anthias....Luzonichthys taeniatus I think..Dave will know for sure. They stay pretty small (2.75") for Anthias.

Edit: Im bored I did a Search:D

just dave
05/22/2006, 10:10 AM
Luzonichthys waitei

Magenta slender anthias from a group referred to as splitfin anthias.

Though I have to say the pictures I see of it on-line don't ,for the most part, look like his fish. The book I used to reference it does have them looking the same and from the area these were caught.

I think there are only a half dozen or so fish in this genus and most never make it into the trade. They live in large groups and frequently found mixed in with other anthias species. In this case it is amongst Bartlett's and Dispar's.

Luzonichthys taeniatus are shown to be from the western Indian Ocean and Boofer's fish are from the eastern central Pacific.

just dave
05/22/2006, 10:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7414247#post7414247 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by boofer

This morning I can only find 3...

Chevron ate 'em.

boofer
05/22/2006, 11:20 AM
Nah, the Chevron didnt care at all. I did find another in a hole under a rock. They can fit into some pretty tight spaces. It was starting to worry me, till I found that one in such a small space.

Heres the link to the best match (picture wise) I could find. At least I was close on the scientific name :D
http://www.saltcorner.com/sections/zoo/fish/anthias/luzonichthys/Ltaeniatus.htm

boofer
05/24/2006, 11:47 PM
I gotta tell you...Ive wasted more time the last 3 days watchin these guys...its pitiful :D They are the coolest. After day 2 all 6 started swimming together. Ive noticed they split up once the light is out, but come back together during the day. They can only eat Cyclopeeze at this point. All are eating well it seems. Theres only one shy one left and you can see him in the 2nd pic hiding to the right.....so far, so good.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/DDowl/IMG_1929.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/DDowl/IMG_1941.jpg

cateyes
05/25/2006, 04:55 AM
Dustin, those are really beautiful little fish!! they seem happy in their new home..

what else do you have with them? just the Chevron.

are you planning on adding anything else?

cateyes
05/25/2006, 05:06 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7433793#post7433793 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by boofer
[B]They can only eat Cyclopeeze at this point.

is cyclopeeze all they "can" eat or all they "will" eat? and is it nutritional enought for them?

just dave
05/25/2006, 09:05 AM
Got the name wrong. They are Luzonichthys whitleyi , not L. waitei.

just dave
05/25/2006, 10:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7434358#post7434358 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cateyes
is cyclopeeze all they "can" eat or all they "will" eat? and is it nutritional enought for them?

Size is probably the issue and Cyclop Eeze is a very good food source as it has very high levels of Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acids (HUFA's), especially in the Omega-3 family. It also has high levels of the carotenoid Astaxanthene which aids in improving color in fish. Cyclop Eeze is also suppose to aid in immune system stimulation.
If it were me, I'd occasionally soak the food in something like Vita-Chem or Zoe (no need to use Zoecon,Selcon,or Selco) and feed frequently.

cateyes
05/25/2006, 10:22 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7435493#post7435493 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by just dave
If it were me, I'd occasionally soak the food in something like Vita-Chem or Zoe (no need to use Zoecon,Selcon,or Selco) and feed frequently.

why Zoe and not the others you listed?

boofer
05/25/2006, 11:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7434345#post7434345 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cateyes
Dustin, those are really beautiful little fish!! they seem happy in their new home..

what else do you have with them? just the Chevron.

are you planning on adding anything else?

Thx :D Just the Chevron at the moment. I have a few different fish Im going to try to get in there. Taking it slow though and trying to get the smallest fish possible. This is going to be my first "fish" tank since my freshwater days. Mainly because I have the room, where in the 29 I couldnt have alot of fish.

Size does seem to be the issue on the Cyclopeeze. They dont pay any attention to even the smaller pieces of Krill, Brine, worms, etc Im feeding the Chevron. Ive been feeding them at least 3 times a day, with at least once a day turning off the return pump to give them more opportunity to eat.
Dave, Ill talk to you in a few about the Zoe. My daughter Zoe will love the fact I use a product named Zoe to help feed them:D

gflat65
05/25/2006, 05:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7435565#post7435565 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cateyes
why Zoe and not the others you listed?

I'm interested in that, too. I have been using Selcon religiously for years. Is it not as effective as the others IYE?

just dave
05/25/2006, 08:54 PM
Because Zoecon,Selcon,and Selco are HUFA Omega 3 complexes and Cyclop Eeze doesn't need them, it is already high in them.

gflat65
05/25/2006, 10:18 PM
Ahhhh. So Selcon in conjunction with cyclopeez (and the Rand corporation) is why. Gotcha.