PDA

View Full Version : Mylar?

Catharsis70
05/19/2006, 08:46 PM
Anyone have any experience with Mylar as a reflector? Know where to order it from?

BeanAnimal
05/19/2006, 09:14 PM
For what kind of bulb?

If your using it for a T5 or MH, your wasting your time. Your light output will be substantialy less than that of a a qaulity reflector.

There are not many good VHO or PC reflectors out there, but most will still outperform a DIY mylar lined hood.

If you are going to go through the trouble to design a "better" reflector for the VHOs or PCs then you will want to use specular aluminum. It can be cleaned or replolished when needed and has a higher reflectivity.

Again if this is for MH or T5s your wasting your time, as the commercialy available units are very efficient.

Mylar also tends to lose it's luster over time and can not be cleaned very easily. Aluminized Mylar is aluminum sprayed over clear mylar film.

You could line your hood with it, and still use the commercial reflectors, this would bounce some of the reflected light back into the water.

aurorafish
05/19/2006, 09:23 PM
Another bad quality of mylar for this application is that it cant take too much heat. any hydroponics store should carry it.

Catharsis70
05/20/2006, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the info. I never thought about the heat issue. I was thinking of using it for T5's. I have a couple of the Helios reflectors and while the shape is great the surface is not the greatest. Nothing like the Miro or other polished reflectors. My thought was to use mylar and glue it to the "M" shaped reflectors.

BeanAnimal
05/20/2006, 02:23 PM
Your best bet for T5 relfectors is the SLS or similar single lamp reflectors. They are SUPER efficient and only ~$25 each.

ufans
05/20/2006, 06:21 PM
Myler isn't cheap since you will probably have to buy a big roll. You would also need to get the thicker stuff. Just spend the extra $10 and get a commercial reflector...