PDA

View Full Version : Layers of Filtration...

bjonesjr1
05/19/2006, 07:02 PM
Currently I am using a Emporer 400 HOB on my 55 gallon tank, it has 2 sides to it, and an extra room for other things to use as filtration... I am trying out Phosgaurd to control my phosphates and I am worried that it will turn my tank brown color if I don't use it right...

Right now the water is going threw the media bag that came with the Phosgaurd first, then the 50 micron poly filter, then the carbon insert, then the extra blue filter pad after that to catch any carbon that may come off of the carbon inserts. The media bag with the Phosgaurd is only on one side.

What would you guys and gals say is the best way for water to travel threw first ???

I have the carbon inserts you buy, 50 micron poly filter pad, 2 drop in cages for extra carbon or what ever media I choose to add into them, and I also have some regular blue filter stuff just like on the carbon inserts that you can cut how ever you want to fit in.

Anyone have any suggestions on what is the best way for the water to travel threw first to make sure I'm getting the full benefit out of everything I'm trying to do, the cages don't need to be used to let me have alittle more extra room in their.

If the poly pad was first would that make the carbon inserts last longer ??? I know that 50 micron poly pad gets dirty quick, but I can was & re use for alittle bit then replace with new.

xtrstangx
05/19/2006, 07:18 PM
Why not buy a Phosban reactor? You can get a reactor for about $33 and a Mini-jet 404 for about $12 I think. Thats $45.

bjonesjr1
05/19/2006, 07:25 PM
Thats what I plan on doing next, I should of just bought it in the first place, but I had my order up high enough already with the light I just upgraded too... so But I think thats what I'm going to do... Can you get the mini-jet 404 from marine depot ???

I wasn't sure on a pump either thats why I didn't get the reactor...

What about for inside the emporer:

poly filter
carbon insert
blue filter pad

or

carbon insert
drop in cages with extra carbon
then poly filter

bjonesjr1
05/19/2006, 07:26 PM
I could maybe even squeze in

carbon insert