PDA

View Full Version : 40 breeder sps tank fish?

jmkins
05/18/2006, 08:51 PM
Hi All,

I've got a 40br with SPS and zoas that for the past year or two has just been housed a pair of percs. They nestled up in the back corner and hardly swim around which is pretty boring.

What I'm looking for is suggestions on some pretty free swimming fish for a tank this size (36 x 18). I've considered some Chromis but not sure how many I could get away with. I want something that will not nip at my corals.

Oh and I've got a pistol in there without a fish for about a year. Do you think that after that long it would still take to a goby? If so which one would you get? I'm worried about my clowns being very territorial at this point.

TIA

Invso
05/18/2006, 09:46 PM
I'd go with a sixline or a yellow wrasse. Either would be a great choice.

john37
05/19/2006, 12:56 AM
potter's angel, cherub angel, flame angel.
if you're not willing to gamble then.....
....bangaii cardinal, flasher or fairy wrasses are always beautiful, my favorite sunburst anthias(but not a lot of action), yellow accessors are very pretty fish, so are fridmandi pseudos. man, so many fish. gluck

RichConley
05/19/2006, 10:01 AM
Sand or no sand?

If Sand:
Check out Halicoeres Iridis, Melanarus, ornatissimus, etc. Much nicer than the Yellow Coris or Sixline IMO.

jmkins
05/19/2006, 05:46 PM
Thanks a lot guys. Yeah I've got about a 2-3 inch sandbed on 2/3 of the tank.

Angels are beautiful fish but I dont think that I am ready to risk since my tank is so small. I love wrasses but have an open top tank. Could I get away with using just eggcrate to keep them from jumping or would I have to go with something else? Also how many wrasses could I keep in a tank this large? From what I've read it seems that they keep well in harems. How easy is it to determine gender with the flashers or fairies?

Thanks a lot everyone I'm going to read some more on the suggested fish.

RichConley
05/19/2006, 11:52 PM
From my experience, its only really the fairy wrasses that are jumpy. Anything else, as long as you have nothing aggressive, they should be fine.

jmkins
05/20/2006, 02:06 AM
Rich thanks for the suggestions.

Are flashers known to be jumpers? The radiant wrasses are very attractive fishes. How many wrasses do you think that I would be safe with in this size tank? Could I get away with eggcrate?