PDA

View Full Version : Kent marine biorocker question

Newflavor
05/17/2006, 10:02 PM
Hi,

I just recently purchased this bio rocker for the sump I am setting up for my 33 gallon oceanic cube tank. Is this a good idea? right now,my nitrate is so high (180) and maybe adding a sump will help me with this problem. Pls. gimme some input. Thanks

Gary Majchrzak
05/17/2006, 10:10 PM
Wet/dry filtration can cause high nitrates.
If you have liverock and/or a sandbed I would not use the Biorocker. The sump itself is a good addition. A protein skimmer would be a much better choice to place in a sump.

Amphiprion
05/17/2006, 10:12 PM
Agreed.

Ironsheikh
05/17/2006, 10:13 PM
i think its way overpriced ---did you read up on the biorocker? according to the catalogs, the block you put under the rocker is for anaerobic bacteria

Im happy w/ skimmer ,live rock, refugium combo -- eventually Ill get a uv steril, and kick in some ozone

Newflavor
05/17/2006, 10:28 PM
So it is not recommended to use the biorocker to any reef tank because it produces high nitrates? That stinks because I really wanted to use this but thats fine. So In a sump its just a good idea to add a refugium, skimmer and a mechanical filter and some carbon?

I have a turboflotor protein skimmer by aquamedic. Can anyone tell me what is the use of having a uv sterilizer in the sump? What really is the difference of having a sump compair to a canister besides you can have a refugium and more water in the tank?

Amphiprion
05/17/2006, 10:36 PM
A sump allows for the hiding of various equipment underneath the tank. It also generally allows for larger/more effective protein skimmers.

KEstep
05/17/2006, 10:40 PM
Canisters are a pain to clean and trap detritus. Which will cause nitrates as well. A skimmer will pull stuff out without trapping material like mechanical filter pads do before it causes a problem for the tank. Turbo floaters are good skimmers, make sure you use a needle wheel impeller on the recirc pump to get the best foam. I have a client with a turbo floater and it pulls some nasty stuff out week after week.
Refugium will help you to reduce nitrates if you grow some algae in it (chaetomorph), nitrate is used by the algae as nutrients.
Benefits of a sump are increase your total water volume, hide all your nasty filter junk (heaters, uv, skimmer etc.) and with the overflow crashing down it helps aerate the tank.

Newflavor
05/17/2006, 11:22 PM
K. What is that needle wheel impeller your talking about? I never seen one since I got this skimmer. Can you send me a picture? The one i have is the hang on one. As far as I know, I am using all the parts this skimmer came with in the box. Are you saying its better to have just the turboflotor in the tank than any mechanical filters? I have actually been running just the turboflotor in this tank for a year. Should I just use carbon and skimmer in the tank? I also have a jebo 180 skimmer. Do you think its recommended to put these two in the tank since I dont think ill use this biorock anymore. Has this biorock been discontinued because it produces too much nitrate?