PDA

View Full Version : I need a Retro-fit lighting expert to help me

DaveG99
05/16/2006, 10:11 PM
I am looking into getting a retro fit lighting set up for my 125 gallon tank. I can build a nice canopy for it to match my stand I built. Mounting the stuff isnt what I have a problem with. My problem is knowing what to buy. I have had a plug and play fixture but I am looking at other options and I really want to use a canopy. I was thinking all T5 lighting is what I want. I would think I need at least 400 watts of t5 lighting for my 125 gallon tank. I have read of ballasts and bulbs but I dont know how it all goes together. Can someone make a list of what I would need including EVERYTHING and show me where to find the stuff to buy it? Thanks for the help....

yeame
05/16/2006, 10:38 PM
this is the best price I have found on metal halide ballast it is what I am ordering for my 125 to run 2-250w 1-400w hope this site will help
http://www.prolighting.com/sousm1000q-k.html

horkn
05/16/2006, 10:39 PM
easiest would be reefgeek.com, or oceanencounter.

they both have retrofits that have 2 bulbs per.

what are the dimensions of your tank?

there are a few questions you need to ask yourself.
1) what kind of corals do you want?
2) do you want clams?
3) where do you want these corals to grow? (top,bottom, middle)

then there is the bulb choice.

once you answer the question above, and elaborate, you will need to pick bulbs. that is the most difficult part, since its subjective, and based on how you want the tank to look.

-tom

DaveG99
05/16/2006, 10:44 PM
72" x 18" x 22"

I just want softies mostly. I already had a plate coral, frilly shroom, and some zoos under 265watt of PC on my 50 gallon

not sure if I want a clam

I would like the corals on the bottom middle and top.

I definetly want a blue ish color. I have read a lot about T5's and I am leaning towards them. I just do not know how the whole system goes together and what I need to buy. I am trying to price it out and compare. I will even consider MH if it is cheaper than t5.

ambaratur
05/16/2006, 10:46 PM
DaveG you might want to have a look at these:

http://www.reefgeek.com/products/categories/lighting/104438.html

I was considering them for my 125. IceCap balasts are supposed to be really good and I think these kits look nice. You can buy them in 2,3,4,or 6 bulb packs.

DaveG99
05/16/2006, 10:59 PM
that looks nice! Except for the price tag...lol Looks like I am going to have to just spend some major bucks on my lighting.

ambaratur
05/16/2006, 11:06 PM
Yea $$$ is the problem. But these fixtures are top of the line I think so that is why. My plan was to start small and grow... i.e. buy a 2 light fixture and add an additional 3 light fixture of the same brand later. That would give 400w in the end.

sparks56
05/16/2006, 11:14 PM
hellolights.com / great service- best prices on the net.!!

The Grim Reefer
05/16/2006, 11:18 PM
125's are spendy to light. Halides are probably the cheapest out of pocket assuming you can get away without a chiller. If heat is an issue go T5.

What you could do is get a 6 lamp tek retro from reefgeek but get the 54 watters instead of the 80's. You can upgrade the Tek to Ice Cap reflectors for like 5 bucks a lamp. You can stagger the lamps end to end so the center of the tank will be good for high light items (Clams and such) and the ends will be good for lower light items.

DaveG99
05/16/2006, 11:37 PM
I like that idea grim but I want the brightest light at both ends of my tank. I am setting it up with a reef at either end. So three lights at one end and three lights at the other end would be great. And maybe stagger them just a bit so it covers more of the tank uniformly. So I am assuming that you can attach them any way you want to when you get the retro kits. I was kind of scared to get a retro kit but I am learning and starting to feel more comfortable with them.

The Grim Reefer
05/16/2006, 11:46 PM
If you want it brighter at the ends then Get a couple of halides. Makes no sense to use fluorescents for that kind of a look. You would have to run 6 24" lamps on each end to get that look with T5's. A couple 250 watt halides cheated a little towards the center of the tank will give you good light in all but the center 18" or so. Run a 2 lamp 80 watt T5 retro for supplimental and you should be set.