PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine.....A Must?

groovemcfly
05/15/2006, 09:44 PM
Greetings All

So is it a must to use a quarantine tank for very hardy fish like Clownfish? Do tank-bred fish have a better chance than wild caught?

Thanks for help

Cheers

kau_cinta_ku
05/15/2006, 09:55 PM
all fish will still be aceptiable to desiease. IMO unless you want to take the chance later on QT from the start. it can save alot of headaches. but no it isn't a must just an easy precaution.

ambaratur
05/15/2006, 10:00 PM
Quarantine tank is always a good idea. So much easier to double check and detect problems right at first rather than have to catch a fish in your main tank to treat it.

Also - if you add a fish that has a disease that you did not see at first trying to catch it in the main tank could add more stress to the fish and make treatment that much more difficult.

When you invest the money that you do in your tank it is so much better to be safe rather than sorry.

IPowderBlueTang
05/15/2006, 10:38 PM
Also a lot of stress to yourself trying to catch the fish in your tank!

Recife
05/16/2006, 12:14 AM
I don't have a quarantine tank and I'm having to deal with an ich outbreak now.

Go for one. You will be happy you did. I'm getting one now.

Blown 346
05/16/2006, 12:18 AM
A QT should be used with not only fish, but inverts, corals.
Tank bred fish will adapt easier than wild caught as they were born in a inclosed envirnment.
They will have less stress.

tygger
05/16/2006, 08:56 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7374967#post7374967 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Blown 346
A QT should be used with not only fish, but inverts, corals.
Tank bred fish will adapt easier than wild caught as they were born in a inclosed envirnment.
They will have less stress.

I'm just getting more into corals now and have been lucky so far without quarantining them.

How long are you suppose to quarantine coral for? This will also mean that I would need to buy a better light for my q. tank then... more $$$.