PDA

View Full Version : Premium Members and the Search Feature

flat broke
05/15/2006, 08:26 PM
So to everyone rocking the Premium Member setup, how often does the search function work for you? I'd do a search to see if this has been covered before, but.... ;)

It just seems to be a shame that sooooooo much valuable information is sitting on a server with no way to be accessed via query from the users. On other forums I frequent, the issue is no one uses the search feature, and that leads to a lot of FAQ type stuff being brought up over and over again. Here appears to be just the opposite, I see lots of people that are dying to use the search feature and because its inaccessible, duplicate threads and posts have to be created for people to find information.

The current protocol just creates an escalatory spiral as people have to create new threads to get information. New threads mean more table entries to be querried when someone "can" get a search going, and more entries mean the querry takes longer. That sucks up more resources and allows fewer querries and thus someone has to ask a question because they couldn't find the answer; again starting a new thread and lengthening the time of the querry.

Didn't mean to get off on a tangent, and hopefully the Premium Members have good access to the search feature, in which case I'll drop my $25 and be quiet :D

Chris

billyzbear
05/15/2006, 09:34 PM
I paid then their money so I can search. I look at it that they need money to keep things going. It's not like alot of money

Phyxius
05/15/2006, 09:42 PM
I paid for it and get on the search function all the time with no problems. I dont look at it as money spent to search the site but to help support the site some too.
Besides with all the help and info I have learned here I have saved way more money on doing DIY projects, coral buys and just general tank equipment than the 25.00 donation cost me.

Sorry to post in the CA forum by a easterner :) just thought I would share my opinion.

Kirk_M
05/15/2006, 09:45 PM
Always get to search...never been denied yet.

SteveOhh
05/15/2006, 10:03 PM
Yep.............search function works 100% of the time for me too!!

Best $24 I've spent reefing!!! In comparison, look in your "aquarium stash" & I can almost guarantee that there's more the $24 in stuff that you don't use!!

Steve :D

laverda
05/16/2006, 12:09 AM
I agree with everyone above. Well worth the money for what I have learned!! And the search works too!

tacocat
05/16/2006, 12:35 AM
It's worth it for the bigger PM box alone.

flat broke
05/16/2006, 12:44 AM
Cool to hear. The 25 bucks isn't the issue, I was just curious as to whether or not the Premium Members encountered similar availability problems. Sounds like they don't, so the second portion of my post is irrelevant.

I wasn't arguing that the cost of membership was a problem, just making an observation about the mechanics of the situation for those that aren't Premium Members.

Chris

tacocat
05/16/2006, 01:01 AM
Yeah it works 99% of the time, but the others addressed that. I was trying to reiterate that you are not just paying to search.

phatphisher
05/16/2006, 01:26 AM
touchy subject and was heavily discussed when the premium membership first came up. this was even before the search function was reserved for "paying" members.

johntbyrne
05/16/2006, 01:40 AM
I didn't work once when there was really heavy load but maybe 30 seconds later I was searching.

gcarroll
05/16/2006, 09:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7375217#post7375217 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by johntbyrne
I didn't work once when there was really heavy load but maybe 30 seconds later I was searching.
Same for me!

bad santa
05/16/2006, 09:51 AM
Don't think of it as a membership fee. Think of it as buying a couple of cups of Starbucks coffee to pick the brains of some really knowledgeable reefers. The $ spent on my membership was probably the best $ spent since I started this hobby.

john37
05/16/2006, 10:22 AM
hey, are you too cool for school?(i like this line, sounds cool)
just get it so you can be apart of the clan, and so we wont feel like elitist. YOu're already on RC that's half way there.
do it! do it! everyone do it! do it!

**now i'll never get banned**
good to kiss butt now and again.

flat broke
05/16/2006, 10:51 AM
I think my orriginal post contained some negative conotations I was not aware of. I in no way meant the post as a slight to paying for the premium membership or anything of that nature. I run a website (actually a few) for my other hobbies and know this stuff isn't free, so I have no problem paying to support the effort. As many others have said, I'd pay just to support the cause, not so I could get access to the search feature.

My orriginal post was just a question about how it worked for Premium Members as I couldn't do a search to find the info :D I agree 10000% that the info I have gleened from exposure to this site has saved me far more than $25.

Bottom line, wasn't complaining or being anti-establishment, just asking a couple questions.

Thanks,
Chris

john37
05/16/2006, 11:42 AM
oh i know....but these discussions will change and the original question will get lost.

hey flat broke, why doesnt it say i support rc under your post count? haha, jk