PDA

View Full Version : OT - Looking for a career

JVHam
05/15/2006, 11:22 AM
This is a bit off topic but I thought I would get your opinions. I am a younger professional that is looking for a career. The reason I am not using the term job is because I have had many of those. I just read an article in the Rocky Mountain News that boiled down to the idea that many employers have negative thoughts about the effectiveness of younger professionals. This is very frustrating for me as I have always been an extremely hard working and goal exceeding individual.

As most of you know the job market in our area is in a bit of a slump and very over qualified people are lured into dead end short term jobs. Since I do not know the varied backgrounds of the members of this club I thought posting an open ended thread might get the right persons attention.

My personal background is focused in film and photography and I have a Film degree from CU. However, my most recent 2 years of work was freelance management for Warren Miller Ent. I have sales (retail and B to B) experience, film, design (motion and still), and high end management experience.

For those of you looking for the right person or have suggestions of where to go please post or pm me and I will send you my resume.

I am looking for a career in many fields just looking for the right people to work for to excel.

Thanks

adams0816
05/15/2006, 08:14 PM
Jason are you trying to stay in your current field or something temporarily while you find permanent work.

JVHam
05/15/2006, 08:28 PM
I am currently working at Whole Foods. I am looking for something that has potenial. You know? I would probably be fine with this job for a while if I could get somewhat of a consistent schedule. Marketing/Advertising or Financial related would be at the top of my list.

cubuffs
05/15/2006, 09:53 PM
I would look at the Sterling-Rice Group. They are a top-notch advertising/marketing firm, but are looking for "well" qualified candidates. If you have a 3.8+ gpa, then I would apply to them. For me, I have been applying to them for years, but to no avail thus far.

Also, I know that Sam's Club is looking for marketing reps currently. It is just another option however.

I hope that your slimers are doing great. Best of luck!

Ryan

fishetcinc
05/16/2006, 01:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7373529#post7373529 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JVHam
I am looking for something that has potenial ... Marketing/Advertising or Financial related would be at the top of my list.

How serious are you about the financial part? I am looking to sponsor an entry level financial advisor (FA) at my firm. You must be willing to pursue the NASD Series 7 License, the NASD Series 66 License, all State of Colorado Securities & Insurance Licenses, and the Certified Financial Planner (CFP) designation as well as receive training from the company comparable to a Masters in Finance. Most important though, you must have the drive to develop your career and not just be looking for a "job".

Here is some info on FA:

http://www.ameriprise.com/amp/global/careers/fin-advisor-career.asp

And according to Money Magazine, it has been one of the best careers in America for the last five years (3rd overall, 9th in pay):

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bestjobs/snapshots/3.html

My office is having a career preview seminar comming up. PM if you are seriously interested in attending.

K.

zerillit
05/18/2006, 09:01 PM
My husband, John, knows the lead producer at the City of Denver's Office of Television Services. I believe they are hiring Producers and will try to find out more info.

You can try visiting www.denvergov.org and it may show a job posting. You may converse with John directly at John.Mohler@ci.denver.co.us

kiznile
05/18/2006, 11:22 PM
I have an interesting job in finance being in collections great experience great pay
company is P. Scott Lowery Law Office
pm me if interested
easy to make 6 fig a year